fermcap-s lookalike? vinoferm anti-foam

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dinnerstick

Reaction score
I couldn't find fermcap-s anywhere on this continent. The big homebrew supply sells "Vinoferm Schuimstop (foam stop) / Anti-foam"
Description: Product on a silicone base. Prevents the formation of foam during the distillation process. Totally odourless, tasteless and completely neutral.
No further description given. I wonder if it's the same stuff as fermcap (Dimethylpolysiloxane), does anyone by any slim chance have a clue? Or a wild guess? the only other thing the bottle says is food safe in small quantities, and to add a couple drops per liter. No hint of the compound, and no data sheet. I want to use it to reduce krausen in a foamy ferment.
Thanks

Sounds the same. You should try and dig up the ingredients online. Maybe the company's website would have it.

You could also look for Baby Gas Drops. They can be bought in America in most grocery stores or pharmacies. They are a food grade anti-foam product that is safe for consumption. Look for the tasteless variety.

thanks. i can't find info anywhere for this stuff. do the anti-baby pellets work in the ferment and the boil similar to fermcap?

Back