Anti-Foam Sources, hopefully non-silicone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simnick

Reaction score
I am working on an automated brewery. Boil overs are really bad for an automated brewery, as it cannot hit them with a spray bottle at the right time, or sense them and kill the burner. As such, I am automating dispensing of anti-foam to stop boil overs.

Has anyone seen any sources for silicone free anti-foam? There are old mentions of Patcote 376, and new mentions of Fermcap NT, but none of them are available in anything resembling homebrew quantities. I love antifoam, and would happily buy a liter. But not 25.

If I can't find silicone free, has anyone seen larger than 4oz fermcap-s? There are filtering concerns, but I don't think they are huge.

I know jvnw tanks makes their systems with a foam sensor. I bet you could run a sensor that would kill the heat input and stop the boil over. No foam issues then. You could also go to local breweries a d see if they will sell you smaller quantities of anti foam.

EDIT: Just kidding it is marks design and metalwork in the pacific northwest.

I reached out to birkocorp, who makes Patcote® 376, one of the non-silicone based anti foams, to see if anyone carried in smaller quantities. He responded that Adventures in Homebrewing carried it, although not labeled as such. So anyone looking for a theoretically safer antifoam, you can get it at http://www.homebrewing.org/Foam-Control_p_1773.html.

Thanks for the link. Ordered Monday morning and arrived today. It seems same size container as Fermcap-S usually comes in; thought I would mention since site doesn't say what size bottle. Will not get to try it for a week or two, but I like the idea of it.

Well I finally got to use it, but just for a starter. It worked as well. Hopefully I can expect the same from full boil and full fermentation.

I am going to use up my fermcap-s before buying it, but looking forward to hearing your results. Would love to know how well it controls boil-overs.

i have been using patcote in the fermentor with excellent results, i bought it from CHI company in a small bottle. i use about 5-8 drops in my stainless fermentor and have completely eliminated blowoffs.

does this stuff effect head in the final product or head retention? I bought some of the vegetable based stuff too and seemed to work wonders! I still get some krausen but not much and during the boil , it has allowed me to control boil overs even with only a gallon or so of head space in my Keggle!

No doesn't seem to have any effect on head.

Really the only 'negative' I've experienced is I need to use more of it than the fermcap-s.

How much are you using??? It was suggested to use 1 drop per gallon. I boiled at 13 or so gallons so I used 13 drops!

No doesn't seem to have any effect on head.

Really the only 'negative' I've experienced is I need to use more of it than the fermcap-s.

That's what I mean fermcap-s says 1-2 drops per gallon, but I found 2-3 drops total of it in 8.5gal boil in a 10gal pot sufficient to prevent boil-over. Where this stuff I have to use full recommended amount.

They say small beers might take less, and big beers might take more drops, but even small beers seem to need the full drop per gallon for close performance to fermcap. It's just drops I'm not complaining just pointing out that drop for drop not equal. I still use it and plan to continue to.

Gotcha-- good to note! TY

That's what I mean fermcap-s says 1-2 drops per gallon, but I found 2-3 drops total of it in 8.5gal boil in a 10gal pot sufficient to prevent boil-over. Where this stuff I have to use full recommended amount.

They say small beers might take less, and big beers might take more drops, but even small beers seem to need the full drop per gallon for close performance to fermcap. It's just drops I'm not complaining just pointing out that drop for drop not equal. I still use it and plan to continue to.

Back