What 3-tier stand configuration is best?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FirstStateBrewer

Reaction score
I'm going to build a brew stand out of slotted angle steel like is used in the Wallace the Weldless build. However, I am considering going with the 3-tier configuration because my budget doesn't include the cost of pumps, at the moment. I also plan to continue using my 52-Quart Coleman Xtreme cooler as the MLT, until I acquire a another converted keggle. (Already have a keggle brew kettle and HLT)

Fortunately, the use of slotted angle steel gives me the option of redesigning it into a single-tier down the road, when I acquire the necessary components.

In my research I have seen 2 basic 3-tier styles that I could build.

The staircase 3-tier like this: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/3-tier-tree-sculpture-plans-27324/#post2424680

And

The stacked 3-tier like this: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-3-tier-brew-stand-300247/

The stacked design would save space and require less materials to build, but the staircase design looks like it might be easier to use.

Does anyone have thoughts on their preferences?

I went stair step because of ease of use. You have to remember that you pull things out to clean. I personally wish I had made a 2 tier like the brew magic, but at the time I hadn't planned on buying pumps. After I made the stand I bought 2 pumps. I still really like mine, but wish the HLT was a little lower. You have to also design around your heat wash from the burner. Good luck with your build

The stair style has the advantage of being collapsible, reducing the storage footprint to the size of one step.

I like the stair the best, easier to get to everything and takes up less room.

I bought this rack at Lowe's for about $180. Works well for a three tier. Only took about 15 minutes to set up.

ForumRunner_20120202_183029.jpg

I think I've made up my mind. See if you can follow me...

Since I hope to buy at least one pump within the year (maybe for my birthday), I'll build the stand with the plan to use it as a single-tier down the road.

I'll construct the Wallace build exactly as it is. Then I'll turn it up on its end and mount it on a wider wooden base for stability. I'll put a burner on the top end where I'll place my HLT. Then on brew day, I will place a portable dog grooming table along side to support my cooler MLT. On the floor next to that will go my Bayou Classic SQ14 burner for my keggle brew kettle.

That will in essence give me a 3-tier brew rig. It won't be too attractive, but I'll remind myself it will look much better once it becomes a single-tier stand.

Back