Weird Dry Hopping Experience...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rook

Reaction score
So I dryhopped my IPA last weekend with an ounce of cascade pellets. I put them in a little mueslin bag and put two smooth (sanitized) stones in the bag with the hops and put them through the neck of the carboy where they sunk to the bottom.

There they stayed until last night. I got home after an unseasonably hot day (it was 75 in my fermentation/conditioning area) and the hop bag was swollen and floating in the top of the beer.

Only problem I can see that I made is that I did NOT sanitize my bag (whoops).

Anyone else have hops that randomly overcome the weight of two stones (probalby about 6 marbles worth of weight) randomly 10 days into being in there?

Will it float? Will it float?

I can see that happening. Hop pellets gaining bouyancy as they expand from pellet form.

May not be an issue.

Will_it_float_travel_edition.jpg

Obviously, you've dissolved the stones in your beer. :D
I had the problem where I didn't add enough weight in the first place and the bag only partially sunk. The beer came out fine.

bottled it tonight. Tasted fine, nothing weird. couldn't find anything in the hop bag to explain it.

Not going to worry about it, my most productive brew yet!

maybe CO2 being released got trapped in the mesh of the bag and eventually lifted it to the top ??

Back