Transfer carbonated brew from 1 keg to another?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChadLeBald

In Hops We Trust
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey All.

New member here, so first off--"howdy!"

As my title suggests, I'm curious to know if I can move some carbonated brew from a corny to a sanke.

WHY? You ask.
Fair question.

Short answer is this: I have a corny and the co2 coupler to carbonate this way. Though, my buddy wants his sanke keg filled with my beer. As I do not have the coupler for his type, I'm thinking it would be cool if I could carbonate in mine, then transfer to his keg (and he can then tap the keg at his place for serving).

If I do this, will it hold most of the co2? Or am I being a dufus?

Cheers,
Chad

"Permanent bar-style taps"--i.e., nothing mobile and the beer I'd need to provide him would have to be provided the exact same way one would get beer from a distributor.

That make sense?

What I meant was, does he use CO2 to push the beer out or does he use use a hand air-pump to generate the serving pressure?

If he's using CO2, you can just put your flat beer in his keg and force carbonate it in his keg directly.

Ah, sorry. Indeed he does use co2. Though, he has multiple kegs at a time, and said he doesn't have independent controls. So, he can't force carbonate mine.

Hmm....

I am not sure I understand the problem here. I am serving one beer and force carbonating another right now, at the same time, using one CO2 tank and one regulator.

Hmm, maybe it's not an issue then. I was assuming that if he was to crank up the co2 to, say, 30psi for the force carbonating, he'd have too much pressure on the other taps for serving. No?

You don't need to crank up the gas. That's just necessary if you are trying to rush and get the beer carbonated. I put my new beer in the keg and leave my pressure at about 12 PSI. It's carbed in about a week.

Now, if you are trying to HURRY and carb the beer, then yeah, setting the pressure that high would cause problems for the other kegs on the system.

You don't need to crank up the gas. That's just necessary if you are trying to rush and get the beer carbonated. I put my new beer in the keg and leave my pressure at about 12 PSI. It's carbed in about a week.

Now, if you are trying to HURRY and carb the beer, then yeah, setting the pressure that high would cause problems for the other kegs on the system.

I wouldn't recommend the super quick force carbing method. I did it tonight with my first kegged batch of beer and regretted doing so after I sprayed myself (and my entire basement) with foam when I purged the keg to drop it to serving pressure.

Ah, cool. Then, indeed the answer is solved. I'll just tell him he's gotta wait a week or so before serving the first pint! (which reminds me, it's time for a pint! :)

Latest posts

Back