First Stove Top Partial Mash Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bknifefight

Reaction score
I want to try out Deathbrewer's Stove Top Partial Mash method but I don't have a grain bag big enough. Is there something I could use as an alternative that I could get on short notice (aka not order from a brew shop, and the nearest one is over an hour away)? Would pantyhose or something maybe work instead? THanks!

Good thinking, I will call Lowes now to see if they have them. Thanks spareparts! :)

Another question on the method. I am concerned about keeping my temperatures consistent. Is keeping the lid on the pot enough to hold the temp for an entire hour? Or will I have to use a probe thermometer to check it and turn the stove top up and down throughout the hour? Thanks!

I preheat the oven to the lowest temp I can, put the lid on the pot, throw it in, and turn the oven off. Unless of course your oven goes down low enough to your mash temp, but mine doesn't.

I should add that I've read many posts that said putting the lid on and wrapping a towel or something around the pot was good enough. Wasn't enough for mine though.

Also, if you heat it to 155 F. I really doubt that it will lose more than 5 deg over the course of an hour with the lid on, and unless it drops below 140 F or so, it will still convert.

I have done 4 stovetop partial mashes, and have noticed more temperature loss with small amounts of grain, 2 lbs or less. When I mashed 4 lbs or more, didn't lose much heat at all. I had the oven heated, but never had to use it.

As discussed in Deathbrewer's Stovetop AG thread, a big part of keep the temp steady is elimination of the extra headroom. So like mikeho said, if you only have a few pounds of grain, try to use a smaller pot to eliminate the headroom.

Lucky for me, my oven goes down to the 150 range, so I pre-heat that bad boy and stick the whole pot in.

Thanks for all the feedback, guys. I will be using roughly 4 lbs of grain and will use the smallest pot that will hold it all. Any concern about plastic handles on the pot if put in the oven?

I would say if it has plastic handles, it wasn't meant to go in the oven. However, since the oven will be off, maybe it will be fine. You could try it before you brew.

At 170F you shouldn't have a problem with the handle melting. If you're really worried, wrap the handle in aluminum foil.

Latest posts

Back