Did I underpitch my yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duffman2

Reaction score
Just brewed a Brown Ipa last night and thought I had two packs of Danstar Windsor yeast. When it came time to pitch I realized I only had one pack. The OG was 1.073 (supposed to be 1.079 :() and I went ahead and pitched the one pack.

Mr Malty recommends 1.4 packs of yeast so I'm not that far off and it is now bubbling happily along. So I'm heading back to beer store in a bit, should I buy another pack to pitch today or no????

I would say if your bubbling now you are fine and there is no need to put any more yeast in there. It sounds like they were ok with the conditions and started to reproduce. So your number of yeasties is up now so I see no need to add more. Any "damage" if there is any, like off flavors or such, is already in motion.

BUT. I think you are just fine my friend.

Yeah, you probably did underpitch a bit, but it should be totally fine.

Thanks guys. I would always tend to err on the side of overpitching if I can so I was just wondering. But I did aerate the holy p*^s out of the wort and it seems to be doing just fine right now so I guess I should just let those crazy yeasties do their thing!

Yea, over pitching can be just as bad as under pitching. Its best to try to get as close to the right amount of yeasties as you can!

Back