hit the wall?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chia

Reaction score
do you ever hit the wall on brewing? I am sitting with 80 degree water temps and mid 90's air with high humidity this week. it is a break from the 107 we have been having. I have every thing i need to brew, but just cannot get my lazy ass out to the brew house to do it! am I alone on this, or are there times when you Need to Brew for the pipeline, but just dont feel like it?

There are times when the weather (ambient temperature) here is not conducive to fermentation, and that makes brewing an issue when you don't have a temperature controlled environment. I'm working on that issue!! :D

I have my brew room set up on my enclosed porch. Lots of windows to open though. Here in New England 95 degrees is very hot. I had a couple of days off during our first heat wave of this summer. It was very humid also so I just stayed in my air-conditioned den. I waited a week or so for a cooler brew day.

As to cooling, I have built a 2 coil immersion chiller. I put one coil in a bucket of ice water. I use a swamp cooler for fermentation that is in my air-conditioned den, so keeping control of fermentation temperatures is not too difficult.

Next up is a Saison for this Thursday.

Holy crap does the immersion chiller sound glorious. I'm having the opposite problem as Chia. I've brewed twice in the 100 degree heat. I can justify a good sweat knowing what I'll be able to get out of it in the future. But my once stable basement is a mess. The prolonged heat has actually bumped the basement temp to 78. I'm changing out frozen bottles twice a day in two of my swamp coolers and even added a 21lb bag of ice to one and I still can't maintain a temp of 68 or below. Sadly, after these two, I'm going to have to stop until I can find a better solution for cooling.

I've been put off by the high heat to want to brew after work. This Sunday after the temps dropped into the mid 80s I spent almost the entire day cleaning the garage. I've been threatening to do it for a a LONG time, but somehow brewing has always been the priority. Now I got about half the lower portion of the garage cleaned and it feels good. Another few afternoons and I'll have accomplished what I wanted down there.

Then I'll celebrate with a brewday. I actually have 3-4 beers on my mind to brew before fall. Kid going to Western Michigan in the fall and we have friends down that way who would like a nice Brown ale. I have been behind in Stout for a while. Got friends here who would like a batch. And I need a light summer beer right now, so I better get started.

watched the weather and the high will be in the upper 80's with possible rain on thursday. will turn up the fan and brew in the garage! making the caramel amber ale!

Back