What do phenolic and flocculant mean in relation to brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atomicjoe23

Reaction score
I looked up flocculant and phenolic in the dictionary to see what they mean and the definitions don't seem very relevant to brewing. . .flocculant-->fuzzy, furry, hairy; phenolic-->hard plastic (I work with phenolic at work and they are just hard plastic disc's). I ask because these terms are used to describe the White Labs WLP380 yeast. . .large phenolic and clove flavor. . .less flocculant than WLP300.

Thanks for your help.

Flocculant - the way yeast groups together.
[SIZE=-1]Phenolic - Medicinal taste like cough syrup. Some. describe it as a plastic type taste.[/SIZE]

"Flocculant" indicates how readily the yeast cells clump together and seperate out of the solution. Hefeweizens are cloudy, for example, because the classic hefe yeast have very low flocculation and therefore don't settle out of the beer very well. If you use a highly flocculant yeast, you may even have to agitate the wort a few times to keep it from settling out too soon.

"Phenols" are medicinal or plastic-like flavors. They can be a natural component of a yeasts output (like some belgian strains), or they can be the result of insufficient rinsing after sanitizing with bleach.

Back