Mead High Krausen Lasting 5 Days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vomitflowers

Reaction score
Hello,

This is my first post, but have been lurking for about 2 years, and been brewing beer for about that long. Just over 2 weeks ago, I started my first mead on 2/6/2010.

It is basically Schramm's "Sweet Show Mead" recipe from his book:

16 pounds of Tupelo honey
4 gallons of spring water
2x packets of Lalvin D-47 yeast
1 tsp of yeast nutrient
1.5 tsp of yeast energizer
OG: 1.122

It has been fermenting at about 65* since then, with no issue. Bubbling the airlock once every 2-3 seconds. On the 13th, I added an additional 1.5 tsp of yeast nutrient. However, starting on the 17th, fermentation seemed to go out of control. I am fermenting this 5 gallon batch in a 6.5 gallon carboy, and it has been at high krausen, overflowing out the airlock for the past 5 days. I was using a blow off tube, but so much was coming out that I just decided to keep replacing the airlock twice a day (after sanitizing and filling with vodka or slivovitz of course). I took a gravity reading on the 19th, and it registered at 1.060, (and tasted quite nice!), so it doesn't seem to be adversely affected at all. I have not been able to find much information about a Mead producing so much krausen when fermenting, and was just wondering if this is normal, or if anyone can shed some light on this. Thanks!

Did you add the nutrient directly or did you theif some must off and mix it in another container before adding it back into your carboy? Kind of odd that is would go volcanic 3 days after your nutrient addition.

I added the nutrient directly, with a sanitized measuring spoon. The must didn't come into contact with any other vessels or tubing.

I did have a similar foam issue with a show mead and D47. Though it was in a gallon jug and I didn't have the head space that you had. I had white foam to the airlock and had to clean and refill the airlock with vodka every few days. The foam sat on top till I racked it at 1.002

Thanks for the information. It could be worse, I know, but was just curious as to whether or not anyone else had experienced an insane amount of krausen for such an extended period of time.

thanks for finally posting. these are the things that help us all, if thats possible

I also have a high krausen mead going on, i didnt even add any yeast nutrient at all, just some black tea and the juice of one orange. I did make a yeast starter for it, but yeah in about 12 hours from pitching the yeast it had formed a huge krausen, its been 3 days or so now and shows no signs of slowing down, its going faster than most of my ciders right now.

are you not degassing 2-3 times per day? that would keep the krausen down.

I've never had a krausen on my mead, just a braggot.

i just started too,and yeah, its been down since, it still was going even with degassing for those first 3 though. i wasnt sure if it was more bad or good, i got pretty excited about ti actually, but yeah i dont want anything to blow over, iv been keepng a close eye on it

There's no predictable ratio of honey to yeast to nutrient.

All you can really do is aerate the must a couple of times a day, and mix the nutrient with a little must. Aerate before adding.........

Oh, and its one of the reasons for using a bucket as primary, and only racking to secondary after the 1/3rd sugar break.......

Sometimes this occurs, sometimes not. Always aerate the ferment with the fermenter in the sink........can save a hell of a lot of mess !

Back