Aeration & Yeast cake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stagstout

Reaction score
I was just wondering how critical aerating your wort is if pitching on to a yeast cake. From what I understand, the oxygen is for yeast growth....so could this step be taken out of the process when using a yeast cake?

Curious

Although I'm not an expert, I think you're right on the money. I just repitched last night on a two week old cake (only 2 hours dry/without beer) and the only aerating I did was to swirl the wort in the carboy. And, that was really just to break up the cake and mix it with the wort. In less than two hours, krausen was forming and 2 more and I had about 4" of krausen going to town.

Although I'm not an expert, I think you're right on the money. I just repitched last night on a two week old cake (only 2 hours dry/without beer) and the only aerating I did was to swirl the wort in the carboy. And, that was really just to break up the cake and mix it with the wort. In less than two hours, krausen was forming and 2 more and I had about 4" of krausen going to town.[/QUOTE

Sounds like another advantage of using the yeast cake. Not that aerating the wort is huge pain, but its just one extra step to not worry about and one less piece of equip. I have to sanitize since I use a large cooking strainer to pour the wort through to aerate. Thanks for the reply.

Did you pitch on the entire cake or did you remove some to prevent over-pitching when you did yours?

I just left the whole thing. I fermented at 68 deg and it's done right now - been maybe 3 days. I'm going to let it sit there a while, but it was quick! I think it would be hard to over-pitch. According to Ray Daniels (Designing Great Beers), to mimmick commercial pitching rates, you would have to pitch 3 gal of starter into a 5 gal batch!

Latest posts

Back