Full Boil = Better Hop Flavor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elkdog

Reaction score
My wife gave me an Immersion Chiller for my birthday, so tomorrow I'm ready to go with my first full boil brew- an Americanized ESB that I've put together, using some Simcoe hops. I know that I'll need to run the numbers again to adjust for the better hop utilization in terms of bittering, but can I expect a more efficient extraction of hop flavor from my later additions in a full boil as well?

Yes, it is known that hop utilization is affected negatively by gravity. However, I believe that the aroma/finishing additions will not be affected. These come from a different set of compounds in the hops that are not affected. During wort boiling Alpha Acids are converted to Iso-alpha Acids, which create bitterness. This process is affected by wort gravity. However, I do not believe that the essential oils are affected, they are the aroma/flavor compounds. Hope this helps. :mug:

Yes, it is known that hop utilization is affected negatively by gravity. However, I believe that the aroma/finishing additions will not be affected. These come from a different set of compounds in the hops that are not affected. During wort boiling Alpha Acids are converted to Iso-alpha Acids, which create bitterness. This process is affected by wort gravity. However, I do not believe that the essential oils are affected, they are the aroma/flavor compounds. Hope this helps. :mug:

That makes sense. Thanks!

Back