White splotches floating in secondary.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

russb123

Reaction score
Is it usual to have things floating on the top of your beer? My first batch ever is sitting in the secondary and there are maybe 10 small white patches floating in there. Looking closely at them they kinda look like super tiny bubbles, but they also kinda look like petri dish experiments I did in science class.

They appeared shortly after I transferred from primary to secondary so I figured it was a bit of yeast stired up to the top, my airlock was active for a while after the transfer. However I figured they would settle back down to the bottom, but it has been 5 days now and they are still there.

Should I be worried or is this common?

Pretty common...when you racked you awoke some yeasties and they swam to the surface. Don't worry if they don't fall, it's really rare to have a perfectly clean beer surface.

no worries. Most likely co2 coming out of suspension from the transfer and or temp change. In which case your first assumption is correct tiny bubble clusters.

If it starts growing fuzzy hairy things...

Still don't worry you can always rack from underneath.

If it crawls out of the fermenter and attacks you...

you might start to get concerned then. ;)

+1 on the "growing fuzzy hairy things".

I don't START to worry until the fuzzy hairy things actually start to turn greenish. THEN I pop a home brew and let it sit for a few more weeks hoping it will taste even better!

Latest posts

Back