Im tired of buying water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kmcogar

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm tired of buying water. Can I just filter my own water from my sink faucet? Can I just use a Brita water filter? Or what should I use? And what will be the cost? How long will it last?
I know it's a lot of questions but I would like to do it right. Anything additional, please feel free to add.

I'd suggest getting a water report before deciding on how to handle your water need. A sample sent to Ward Labs will cost about $16 and give you every bit of information you need. I did that, and found that sometimes I can use pure tap water, sometimes I need some additions, and sometimes I have to dilute a bit with RO water into my tap water. It was so worth it!

I'd suggest getting a water report before deciding on how to handle your water need. A sample sent to Ward Labs will cost about $16 and give you every bit of information you need. I did that, and found that sometimes I can use pure tap water, sometimes I need some additions, and sometimes I have to dilute a bit with RO water into my tap water. It was so worth it!

how do you know when to do what? does it depend on the style of beer?

Is it the hassle of picking it up, or the cost? I stopped using my home RO system because it was burning through filters fast, and they are expensive. I can buy RO water for 36 cents/gallon which is about half what my home system costs. I then adjust using the water primer sticky. A typical home RO system will take a long time to generate 10 gallons as well. I have really hard water and buying it was easier than diluting.
See if your city/county has a water report. Mine had one online, but I emailed them and they sent me the detailed report for free.
I never did the cost per gallon for brita or pur, but it should be easy to figure out. I don't think you'll find they do what you want though. There is quite a bit of info on building a filter system around here.

If you can drink the water right out of your tap...

...then you can brew beer with it NO problems!

You don't need a water report unless you are building a beer from the water up and most never get to that point.

Bass Ale for instance has a lot of calcium and other minerals in the base water due to their source in England...it adds flavor and other things to beer...for the hobby brewer, adding in some "Burton Salts" yields essentially the same effect.

In fact, and if you really wanted to, water reports are typically found on line free from your town website, or the website of the waterworks that provides your water...then you can tinker with adding additional calcium and other salts, etc.

Point being, if you can drink it, you can brew with it.

If you can drink the water right out of your tap...

...then you can brew beer with it NO problems!

You don't need a water report unless you are building a beer from the water up and most never get to that point.

Yes indeed!!!!

I think it come more from new brewers little understanding of things, then any revelence. I think because we're afraid of this new beer making thing when we start out (heck half the time we're afraid were gonna make something toxic and poison our friends, OR that if we look at our beer wrong it's going to die a horrible death or both) that we forget some basic truths about the world. I wrote this last year when three folks posted something about this in the same day...

Revvy said:
Do you brush your teeth with your tap water? Do you shower with it and maybe get some in your mouth? Do you use ice made with the water coming into your house? Do you Drink it?

Do you live in a city that is currently having a boil water advisory?

Have we been so brainwashed from buying little plastic bottles of overpriced water (that may have ALSO come out of a tap, and MAY have less governement regulations than our municipal water) that we have forgotten that that sink in our kitchen isn't JUST used to wash dishes with? I have always found this fear that folks have of their own water ridiculous. If you can drink your water you can brew with it (all arguments about chlorimines aside, I'm talking about sanitization.) If you can drink the water out of your tap without getting sick, you can top off your fermenter with it. I've done it all my brewing career and NEVER had any issues.

I've just found this blind trust people have over those tiny plastic bottles over our own home water is ludicrious....

Some interesting info I dug up about bottled water.

Let's start with an independent four year study of the bottled water industry, completed in 1999 by the Natural Resources Defense Council.1 The report of the results along with a petition to the FDA stated that there were "major gaps in bottled water regulation and that bottled water is not necessarily safer than tap water". The study's principal findings were that although most bottled water seems good quality, "some bottled water contains bacterial contaminants, and several brands of bottled water contain synthetic organic chemicals (such as industrial solvents, chemicals from plastic, or trihalomethanes - the by-products of the chemical reaction between chlorine and organic matter in water) or inorganic contaminants (such as arsenic, a known carcinogen) in at least some bottles".

This leads us to the subject of the chlorination of our public drinking water in the USA. This law is in effect to sterilize and disinfect the water, eradicating all types of bacteria.

According to the Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC), which is a nonprofit organization devoted to protecting health and the environment, more than 25% of all bottled water comes from a public source. That's right - it's the same water that's piped to homes and businesses.

How can that happen? Because they can. No one is demanding truth in advertising from water bottling companies!

Standards for purity exist, of course. BUT ...Bottled water purity is regulated by the FDA, and because the FDA puts low priority on water, bottlers are inspected and tested less than once a year. According to one FDA official, it's the manufacturer's responsibility to ensure that the product complies with laws and regulations.

The result: Some do, and some don't. And even worse, if the water is bottled and delivered within the same state, there are NO regulations.

The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) regulates tap water, so if a bottler uses a public source that has passed their inspection, it should be OK to drink - right? Not necessarily.

In tests done by the NRDC, at least one sample from a third of the brands contained bacterial or chemical contaminants,
including carcinogens in levels exceeding state or industry standards. Not to be argumentative, but I have to wonder why any level of carcinogens is OK.

My understanding is that our municipal water sources are tested several times a day. That's how they are able to have a boil water declaration if something is detected.

Personally...I trust my tap water and my plumbing more than I think it's worth buying water, or bothering to boil it, if I don't have a BWA in my town.

Relax. :mug:

I agree that for most people water from the tap is fine but I think my tap water tastes like crap, I know it is safe, but I choose not to use it as the main ingrediant in my beer becuase of the taste.

I've only done about 6 batches, but everything I end up with tastes like great beer! I don't use any filtration at all, but the water in Idaho doesn't have a bad reputation unless you live in some really alkaline areas.

At the very least you need to know about the hardness of your water. That way you can make sure you hit an appropriate mash pH. Indianapolis water is moderately hard, meaning that anything in the 25-35 SRM range (approximate) I can use pure tap water. Any lower and I have to add RO water; any higher and I have to add baking soda or lime.

But really, if you're going to go that far, you may as well get into a full water report.

FWIW, I also buy the RO water in bulk. At 29 cents a gallon, it's worth it.

You can get a under sink culligan filter on Amazon for 15 bucks. Takes out chlorine and particles. My beers taste good with it.

I agree that for most people water from the tap is fine but I think my tap water tastes like crap, I know it is safe, but I choose not to use it as the main ingrediant in my beer becuase of the taste.

Does boiling it for an hour and letting it cool alter the taste at all? It might be completely different afterword.

So... Where do I buy this water for 29 cents a gallon? And how much go I have to buy at a time?

Although I may have to try some of my own water first. Thanks guys

I live in a small neighborhood and we share a class B well. The water is chlorinated, but our refrigerated drinking water is filtered with a charcoal filter. The filtered water tastes great so that's all I use.

I agree! I don't drink my tap water, because it tastes nasty to me. I buy RO water for 25 cents a gallon.. Sometimes I throw natural spring water in the mix just for the hell of it..

I use THIS its a camco water filter made for RVs, just hook it up to a hose bib and let her rip, works great, fast and cheap.

You didn't mention chlorine or chloramine, but if you have those, campden tablets work great. 1 tablet for 20g, so I just crush up half of one and add it to my brewing water at the start of brew day.
All the other stuff (hardness, calcium, etc) is certainly important, but chloramine can give you off flavors in a hurry and the simple step of adding campden takes care of it.

I live in the Western suburbs of Chicago. We have Lake Michigan water. My water report says we have chlorine added. I leave my water in a plastic bucket over night to let the chlorine..., evaporate (?), whatever, I guess the chlorine magically leaves the water. So far so good.

I used the "water primer sticky";bought a PH meter; use my well water and MAYBE mix in some RO water, but as long as I hit my PH in the mash (5.3-5.5) I'm happy. A little of this or that to lower or raise PH and good records has made me good beer. A report from wards is a good investment, because it allows you to form a plan before adjustments are made with a known result. Cheers:)

I just use my tap water. I've never gotten it checked, but many of the local breweries just use tap and I've never had a problem with it. My LHBS advised to just use tap. I'm not to the point where I'm altering water chemistry.

Kmcogar said:
So... Where do I buy this water for 29 cents a gallon? And how much go I have to buy at a time?

my local walmart has a culligan machine, bring your own container(s). Check the yellow pages under water, I used to pay 25 cents before I moved, now I pay 37 including tax.

I buy 10 gallons for a "5" gallon batch. 7 into the boil kettle + dead space, grain absorption, etc. I use the rest for sanitizer since RO doesn't cloud up with starsan.

The cheapest way I found to get a container is buy the over priced water jug at lowes/hd for $9. Drink the <$2 worth of water and keep the now ~$7 container. Walmart wanted more than double that for an empty one. They are type 7, but my water is in them for 15 minutes, so I don't care about leaching anything.

Kmcogar said:

Although I may have to try some of my own water first. Thanks guys

There's a machine at some supermarkets that dispenses it. There's one at my local whole foods where you can choose from RO and distilled.

$0.39 a gallon. You can fill whatever you want, but they sell 1G, 3G, and 5G BPA free containers right by the machine.

BrewThruYou said:
There's a machine at some supermarkets that dispenses it. There's one at my local whole foods where you can choose from RO and distilled.

$0.39 a gallon. You can fill whatever you want, but they sell 1G, 3G, and 5G BPA free containers right by the machine.

They aren't in all areas, I had never seen one til I moved to Arizona. They are 25¢ a gallon, $1 for five gallons here (there is even one by the laundry room at my apartment complex)

If you have a pressure cooker/canner at home, most can be used fairly efficiently to produce distilled water. Just make sure your hoses can handle the heat. May take some time for 5gal, but you know nothing's in the water.

I think for most municipal water supplies that a rule of thumb like "-if you consume tap water, brew with it." is probably good. We don't have that luxury, living in the country in an area where the water is fine, but full of dissolved iron and calcium. As with a previous poster, I considered and rejected a system that would remove the dissolved minerals (a resin filter) and incorporate an RO stage. For those considering a home system, one of the large "reefkeeper" systems (designed to service large aquariums) is probably the most cost-effective.

I find it much more expedient to pay 39 cents a gallon for RO water at the grocery store, and, say, if I'm making an ESB, just throw some Burton Salts into it.

Also, be warned: an RO system wastes a large quantity of water to produce the RO water.

Back