cider flavor profile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kamkamdac

Reaction score
impatient noob question for you guys

ive never had cider befor so i have no idea what its suposed to tast like, so can you guys let me know what it tast like and what its not suposed to tast like.

i ask because i just bottled my first cider and its not what i expected. slight apple flavor, strong yeasty flavor that lingers in the palate, reminds me of a dark guinness beer (which i dislike)

is this normal for a young cider, how will it change with age?

(6 gal tree top applejuice, 2 lb brown shugar, safail s-04 yeast, mixed with 6 12oz cans of concentrate befor bottling, SG=1.064, FG=1.014)

impatient noob question for you guys

ive never had cider befor so i have no idea what its suposed to tast like, so can you guys let me know what it tast like and what its not suposed to tast like.

i ask because i just bottled my first cider and its not what i expected. slight apple flavor, strong yeasty flavor that lingers in the palate, reminds me of a dark guinness beer (which i dislike)

is this normal for a young cider, how will it change with age?

(6 gal tree top applejuice, 2 lb brown shugar, safail s-04 yeast, mixed with 6 12oz cans of concentrate befor bottling, SG=1.064, FG=1.014)

You bottled it at 1.014? With the 6 cans of concentrate? I hope not, as the bottles will blow up.

Young cider tastes a bit like a dry wine, but it comes around and gets better wtih some age. If it's "yeasty", it means it wasn't done and ready to be bottled. The yeasty flavor goes away once fermentation ends and the yeast falls out.

Back