I want a High OG Ale - lbs/kind of Extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacketsdb23

Reaction score
I know I know....get Beersmith!

Anyway, I have the hops I'm going to use for a Celebration Ale but need to work on the extract. I want a high OG (1.060 - 1.070). What are general rules of thumb for obtaining a high OG? Recipes I've seen called for 7lbs LME and anywhere from 8oz to 1lb Crystal 80ºL. What type of color will the crystal 80ºL give me? I'd love to have a dark amber color for my celebration ale.

I'm just starting out with this brewing thing so take it easy on me! Thanks for any help. This will be my 3rd brew.

:mug:

I can't quote you a specific recipe (mostly because my holiday ale recipe is sitting on the table at home) but I'd say you're going to want more LME than that.

According to John Palmer (read this if you haven't yet, yes all of it) 1 lb LME is worth ~36 ppg. So for 5 gallons of 1.065 wort you'd need (65/36*5=9.02) 9 lbs of LME or (8/10*9=7.22) 7.25 lbs of DME.

Regarding the color and the steeping grains. I wouldn't be afraid to go with 1 lb of the Crystal 80L. You could also include some roasted malt for color and flavor.

Are you thinking of the Sierra Nevada Celebration? If so, there is a recipe in BYO's 150 classic clone recipes. It has on OG of 1.064. Let me know if that's the one you're thinking of.

Back