Plastic Primary Bucket Hybrid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meyers.markg

Reaction score
This might be a slightly off-the wall idea/ lame and I would like some feed back. So I have heard that plastic/seran wrap is 100% impermiable to air, while the plastic fermenting buckets are pourus in regards to letting air into the wort. I'm wondering how effective it would be to wrap a plastic fermenting bucket with seran. How air-tight do you think it could get? I see this helpful in several situations. One, I am waaaay to busy to transfer my beer into a secondary, so I wrap it instead. Two, I am a cheap ass, and if I ever need more secondaries then I'll be ready. Three, when making a Red Flanders and one needs to the find the balance of letting air get to the beer while not letting too much air to the beer (see google "Raj Red Flanders" and/or "Jamil Red Flanders" to get an idea of what I am talking about). So am I overlooking some things or am I on to something?

Firstly how long can you leave beer in plastic before it has negative effects?

Ive done 8 weeks in plastic with with no noticable differences bettween the other half which was in stainless!!

I've always heard that there should be a 2 week max for being in a plastic fermenting bucket. But hey, if you were able to a side-by-side comparison w/ no difference, then I should stop my worrying. But I'm still curious if anyone else has heard that seran wrap is 100% impermiable to air, and if there might be any potential downfalls for using it long term (3+ months)?

Back