Brownish creamy stuff

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtyHarry

Reaction score
No not a chocolate éclair but the stuff on top of my spent grain. This is my 2nd all grain and my efficiency is low. Am I not stirring enough or something? Is there suppose to be water remaining in the tun after I collect my 6.5 gallons if I batch sparge? I followed the water infusion instructions from "brew 365" .

IMG_0501.jpg

No, you're not stirring enough, and no, there should be no water left.
You should be able to do your mash at 1.25-1.5 qts. per lb of grain, stirring many times during the mash.
Then drain your first running and measure the volume.
Whatever the amount that is still needed for the batch size, that's how much more sparge you will add for the second running (or divided for multiple step sparge).
There is valuable sugars left in that liquid. That explains (one way) you have low efficiency.

If that is left after gravity took over and a few minutes passed then it appears that you are not crushing correctly. It looks like flour on top. What is the setting? And what was the mash temp? Is it all barley?

Its a two row base malt crushed at my local brew shop with their standard setting. I am attempting a lager and the infusions were 153 degrees (at 1.25) which is 10.6 quarts to get 140 degrees for 30 minutes, then 5 quarts boiling water to get to 158 degrees for 30 minutes. Palmer says no protein rest for well modified malt. Total water needed per the website calculator I looked at said 8.47 gallons. So that was 3.9 gallons in the mash and lauter/sparge water was 165 degrees of which I used 4.5 gallons. I must be going wrong somewhere but I thought I was very precise. It was very cold that night in my garage and I didn't quite hit my temps. My tun was cold and grain was cold. Is that a factor?

Back