Dusseldorf Altbier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghank15

Reaction score
Next weekend, I will be brewing an Altbier.

Being new to all grain brewing (two batches thus far) I was interested in doing some SMASH batches to really get the feel for how a particular malt tastes.

Would I still be brewing an Alt if I only use Munich? I know the color will be a bit low, but I am more interested in the taste. According to the BJCP standard, "small amounts of crystal, chocolate, and/or black malts" can be used to adjust color.

Would I be correct in assuming that since only a small amount of these would be used, the flavor profile will not really be affected?

Also, if I only use Munich, what temp should I mash at? Frankly, a decoction is out of the question on this particular brew day, so I have to do it as a single infusion. I don't want it to be too thin though. And my first two AG attempts yielded mash temps a few degrees lower than intended. I just don't want to go too high.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. :mug:

also, I'm looking online at various supply shops, why is midwest Weyermann Light Munich $14 for 10 pounds while other places are $18 or so?

I just ordered the malts, I ended up going with 9.5 lb of munich and .5 lb of caramunich. I am hoping that the caramunich provides very subtle tasting notes while contributing slightly to the color. I figure I can mash at around 151 and hopefully get good results. According to Kaiser's Alt recipe, Alts are supposed to be very drinkable.

I brew mine with about 95% Munich malt. You may want to add a little Carafa II to darken the beer a bit. I used 2.6 oz in my last batch and it's still a bit light.

I just ordered the malts, I ended up going with 9.5 lb of munich and .5 lb of caramunich. I am hoping that the caramunich provides very subtle tasting notes while contributing slightly to the color. I figure I can mash at around 151 and hopefully get good results. According to Kaiser's Alt recipe, Alts are supposed to be very drinkable.

Alt Bier's are great drinking beers, Its one of my favorite styles of beer. you will like it. There are some very good recipes out there. I hope it turns out great for you. :tank:

Well according to the bjcp, you don't need Munich, but it is acceptable. When I was reading up on How they are brewed in Germany, I found Munich as a primary ingredient

I haven't made an AG alt, but my PM alt is probably my 2nd best beer to date. Incredibly drinkable. I actually brewed it a few times last summer to have a drinkable beer that wasn't a blonde, wit, etc.

Back