It's in the keg... and it sucks.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EinGutesBiersSWMBO

Reaction score
I recently made an IPA. I made a stupid mistake. While fussing over my march pump I forgot to turn the water full on for my plate chiller. Needless to say, I pitched way to warm and I didn't notice it until hours later.

The beer... its not terrible, but it's not that good either. It's got a really strong cereal taste to it. The hops didn't come out nearly as much as I'd hoped.

Now, since it's not awful I'm debating what I can do to make it better. I used a variety of hops on this brew including Bravo and Sorachi Ace. I was wondering what might happen if I do a hop ball of the Sorachi, in hopes of getting some more of that lemon to tame the grainy aspect of the IPA.

What do you all think?

If it's grainy, it makes me think you maybe didn't get enough hops. Dry hopping will definitely help. Aging will also help tame off flavors. Another note. If your wort is too warm, let it sit overnight to cool. I've done it several times, and so long as your sanitation is good, it will be fine.

Edit: I meant to say wait overnight to let it cool and then pitch the yeast.

Thanks! I think I'll try some dry hopping on it and see how it goes. It can't hurt.

I would have never pitched had I known it was so hot. I did get it cooled down as quickly as possible. American II is a pretty resistant yeast I must say.

Just a quick update; I threw in about 2oz of cascade into the keg. The flavor is a lot better. Still not my favorite beer, but its palatable.

Thanks!

Back