Full bodied wheat recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

downhill_biker

Reaction score
I'm looking for a recipe for a full bodies wheat extract recipe. I want something with some substance while still having that what flavor. Not really too bitter either. Anyone know of a good recipe you've tried?

Are you asking about an American wheat or a Bavarian Hefeweizen?

I don't know the difference. I want something that will be wheat flavored out even a nice blonde but not like piss...don't want something with the consistency of bud light...

Not site if I make sense.

I'm going tip use it in a fruit beer. Huckleberry wheat is the plan. I just wanted to stay out with the base beer tasting how I would like before the fruit.

For a more intense wheat flavor I would up the gravity. For a fruit flavored wheat I might go with a 1.047 O.G. To kick it up I might say shoot for a 1.060.

That would take about 8 lbs of wheat LME for 5 gallons. For hops .75-1.00 ounce of something like Willamette for bittering. For yeast US-05 or anything clean fermenting.

i used a cooper's LME wheat beer can with a 2 lb. briess DME for a simple wheat recipe. it was a little thin to be honest. that is around 5 lbs. i think for extract. i would shoot for over 6 lbs. closer to 8 lbs. you might want to pitch double liquid yeast or a starter. just to get things going. also if ya lie a little body like me look into none fermentables.

Thanks guys. I think I have some good ideas now. I'm going to do some experimenting here and go for around 7-8 pounds lme in my wheat. It will definitely be drinkable and if I want to changesomething next time I will have a base to go off of.

Well, I went to the beer supply store and they had some of what was recommended, but not exactly. I ended up with an additional 3.3lb of LME, the kit comes with 6.6lb of LME, all of which is wheat. I asked for the willamette hops and they only had 4.6%, so he gave me 3 oz of that, for the 9.9lb of LME. I will download the software and see what I can figure out, but does this sound right? I am so new to this and don't know where my proportions should be.

What kit did you get and what came with it? You have plenty of extract if you want to bump up your batch size. Even for 6 gallons I wouldn't use all of it.

I went with the beer nut american wheat kit. It included 6.6 lb of coopers lme and I chose the willamette 4.6% hops and the dry wheat yeast they recommended. I think I might bump it up to 6g and use it all, live dangerously....

Back