Decent source for Natural Gas supply Hose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomeBrewFoSho

Reaction score
Just thought I would bring this up, I don't know if anyone has seen this site. I just ordered a 24 foot 3/4 inch hose for my brewstand for $120 shipped. That's cheaper than 10' from tejassmokers.com I'm not sure on the quality yet since I haven't recieved it but in case anyone needs to buy one right now it's an idea.

http://www.propane-generators.com/hook-up_hoses.htm#These_hoses_are_rated_

I'm figuring it will be at least a little safer than using garden hose. I was going to go with quick disconnects, one on the house and one on the stand but at $40 a pair I didn't think it was worth the extra $80. Instead I'll be using 2 - $4 black pipe unions. I also just noticed that the quick disconnects on tejassmokers.com would be like $85 so if you're looking for them propane-generators.com is cheaper for that too.:mug:

I got my hose from a propane supply for high pressure LPG.

Got the disconnects from a local restaurant supply (Hagar).

Okay, prices/sizes? Plus didn't know if there was any difference in the ratings for NG vs. LPG. Obviously I would think NG would have less strict ratings but I'm not sure. Anyone?

I forget the brand of the QD but it was $50 for the set. Stainless steel, made for NG, with integral shut off.

The hose ran ~$60 for 15 foot of 1/2" ID, braid re-inforced, with removable ends. the hose was made for outdoor rigours but came with indoor use certification.

The difference in the ratings is that NG is low pressure (like 3 or 4 psi) whereas this hose was rated for High pressure (30 to 60psi) to whip from a tank to a house.

Okay, yeah those prices are comparable with what they have on their site too. I tried going to a local place that makes hoses for hydraulics and such and they said they didn't think they could make one. (strange I know) so I just decided to order this one yesterday.

would have been cheaper if I had just gone with the crimped on ends for the hose. Instead I paid a premium for the locking replaceable ends. Self serviceable. If I even damage the hose all I have to do is get a new hose section and I can put these ends in it.

Just thought I would bring this up, I don't know if anyone has seen this site. I just ordered a 24 foot 3/4 inch hose for my brewstand for $120 shipped. That's cheaper than 10' from tejassmokers.com I'm not sure on the quality yet since I haven't recieved it but in case anyone needs to buy one right now it's an idea.

I'm figuring it will be at least a little safer than using garden hose. I was going to go with quick disconnects, one on the house and one on the stand but at $40 a pair I didn't think it was worth the extra $80. Instead I'll be using 2 - $4 black pipe unions. I also just noticed that the quick disconnects on tejassmokers.com would be like $85 so if you're looking for them propane-generators.com is cheaper for that too.:mug:

Tejassmokers is crazy high. I used their site to find what i needed and bought it local. I paid more than this though. Mine is 15' w/ QD's. The QD's are really high. Mine are brass. Nothing wrong with a good quality union IMHO.

Looks like a good price for a good solution. The most important bit of safety here isn't so much related to what kind of hose you use but the fact that you should turn off the gas at the hardline and that the valve should be accessible. In other words, if you brew in the garage and the only hardline shutoff you have is in the basement, that's no good.

Looks like a good price for a good solution. The most important bit of safety here isn't so much related to what kind of hose you use but the fact that you should turn off the gas at the hardline and that the valve should be accessible. In other words, if you brew in the garage and the only hardline shutoff you have is in the basement, that's no good.

Yeah, it's not like this hose is ever going to be left unattended anyways. I will have the union outside the back of my house through the basement with gas ball valves inside the house and outside. But just incase this hose should be able to take some abuse. It would have been a lot cheaper if I didn't want a hose so long. I think I may convert my grill over to NG and buy a shorter hose too!

I just received my gas hose from McMaster Carr. I bought a 25' long 3/4" Corr. Stainless Steel Hose with Teflon Sleeve and replaceable ends for $156 I think. And they had a 3/4" Quick Disconnect for like 60 for both the plug and socket.

I piped it all in this last weekend. I put a 3/4 Ball valve immediately before the Socket on the wall. The plug is on the hose and connects to the 3/4" Black pipe on the stand. From there two more ball valves control gas to my two multijet burners.

I lit them for the first time tonight, and I am glad I have enough gas hose to get outside of the garage. I have about and 16" flame out of coming out of each of the 48 jets. The smaller burner also has a ridiculous flame.

I'll try and get some pics up.

HomeBrewFoSho,
Did you end up going with this supplier? I'm looking to do something very similar and was curious how they worked for you.

Yes I did. Something happened to my order where their supplier didn't get it right away. It may have been a one time screw up but I don't know. It took a while to get because of this. I have the hose now and am using it. It works well and 3/4 hose is a beast. It's pretty much a glorified garden hose with some reinforcement in the rubber to make it less likely to crush.

The difference in the ratings is that NG is low pressure (like 3 or 4 psi) whereas this hose was rated for High pressure (30 to 60psi) to whip from a tank to a house.

Just a quick note, standard household NG pressure is 3.5 " WC, which is about 0.126 psi, or just over 1/8th.

Hello everyone,

My name is Eric, and I have been voraciously browsing this forum for some time now and finally decided to pony up the $$ for a membership. My thanks to all the members who take the time to share so many great photos and experiences with the community. Can't wait to share my setup with everyone.

I have been extract brewing for the last four years, and I am currently working on my first AG setup. I am building a 2-tier Sanke setup with pump and NG jet burners. I will be brewing in my workshop, which is about 15 feet from the exterior of the house, and the source of my NG. My original plan was to pipe the NG through the exterior wall of the house (my water heater is on the other side of the wall) and install a small weather-proof enclosure with shut-off valve and QD fitting. Problem is, after searching the web for NG "rated" hose, all I can find is seriously expen$ive stuff! I'd rather not spend another $200+ on this part of the system.

After reviewing this, and other threads here on NG, it seems that many brewers out there are successfully using beefy garden hose for their NG supply. This seems like a reasonable solution to me, as the hose will only be hooked up during brew day, and never left unattended. In lieu of a garden hose, we do have a big hydraulic shop in town that will make hoses of any size and length for a fraction of the cost of the hoses available online.

My question: is there any reason not to use a heavy-duty commercial-style garden hose? If I use garden hose, or custom hydraulic hose, what type of fittings should I use? For this particular part of the system, I am now thinking that QD's are not necessary, as it wouldn't take that much time to screw the hose on and off once each brew day. Of course, I would have a shutoff valve at the house, and another at the brew rig, in addition to needle valves for each burner.

Just wondering what has worked for those of you using NG. Thanks for sharing. :mug:

Use hose that is designed for NG, and the proper fittings. You want the hose material to stand up to the gas and tapered brass or stainless fittings that will provide a good seal. It is a saftey issue, even if it is only connected while you are brewing, that is still several hours and NG can build up while you are brewing until it finds an ignition source.

Depending on the burner you are using you can use standard 1/2" BBQ NG conversion hose and QD.

I installed Multijet burners, the Large with a 3/4" inlet and the medium with 1/2" inlet with a 3/4" line feeding the entire system. It is way overboard, The medium burners would be more than suffcient.

Last weekend I brewed a 10 Gallon Batch with a Sanke keg as my Boil pot on the medium burner and I barely had the valve cracked to maintain a boil, the buttom of my pot gets sooted because I have it so low. On a high note I brought 15 gallons of 48 degree water to strike temp in less than 30 minutes.

At least that is my experience. I spent too much on the 3/4" gas lines that could have been spent else where.

My question: is there any reason not to use a heavy-duty commercial-style garden hose? If I use garden hose, or custom hydraulic hose, what type of fittings should I use? For this particular part of the system, I am now thinking that QD's are not necessary, as it wouldn't take that much time to screw the hose on and off once each brew day. Of course, I would have a shutoff valve at the house, and another at the brew rig, in addition to needle valves for each burner.

Just wondering what has worked for those of you using NG. Thanks for sharing. :mug:

I know I'm bumping a super old thread BUT, I just wanted to let everyone know I am still using my natural gas flex line and it's still in perfect shape. I actually run a 80,000 btu forced hot air furnace with it as well. So I don't know what is out there now but this hose is a pretty good option.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'll throw in my experience. I'm running about 15' of 3/4" air hose from Grainger rated for up to 200 PSI as a brew day jumper from the hard pipe. It was around $53 for 25' cut to size later. You can stand on it and it will not compress. I have heavy duty brass gas fittings from McMaster-Carr on it with a gas QD on the supply end where there is hard pipe with a shutoff valve. I have been running this way since late 2010. The hose is in perfect shape as are the fittings.

Link to the hose

Back