Gravity Readings, what do i do now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBrady

Reaction score
Ok original gravity was 1.060 on my beer, final should be 1.014. after about 36 hours im showing no more signs of fermentation, there isn't even enough pressure to push the cup in the airlock to the roof of the airlock and my gravity is only 1.039. I pitched the yeast to hot as mentioned in my previous posts and i didn't make a starter. All i did for oxygen after going to primary was just a aggressive pour from boil pot to primary, maybe that wasn't enough. Fermentation did look good for 24 hours bubbles every 3 seconds. What would you say is my next course of action? shaking for aeration, more yeast? thanks for any info this is my first brew.

let it be!!!!!!!!! check it in a week, it wont hurt(never hurts)your beer to wait another week. Take a reading in a couple of days, if it still hasnt changed then come back and ask

Stepaway_copy.jpg

Leave it alone for the next week to 10 days...everything is fine. Fermentation can take up to 72 hours to start, or it can be finished in a couple days,...and airlock bubbling means nothing...it shouldn't be taken as a sign of fermentation or anything. I rarely get active airlock bubbling...but I've never had a beer not turn out. Just leave your beer alone for a week to 10 days and take a reading...

You don't need to add any yeast.....you are fine.

yall got the point across, lol, thanks for the quick responses, hey and it actually tasted like beer, holy crap

If you are going straight from the primary into bottles/kegs, I'd leave it for at least 2 1/2 weeks before doing anything. If, at that time, there is no airlock activity and the krausen has dropped, and the beer looks clear (if applicable), then you could take a gravity reading. If the gravity is still high, try rousing (swirling the brew to re-suspend the yeast) and check again in another week. If the gravity is where it should be, check again in another 3 - 4 days. If the gravity hasn't changed, you can go ahead and bottle, but if it's still dropping, check again in another 3 - 4 days until you get 2 identical readings.
If you are going to use a secondary, it shouldn't be racked until obvious fermentation has finished, the krausen has dropped, and the gravity has dropped to close to the estimated FG. Minimum time in secondary should be about 2 weeks, after which you can tell when it is ready to be bottled/kegged by checking the gravity every 3 - 4 days

-a.

I am sure I'm a minority here, but if fermentation is not going the way I *think* it should, I will shake, agitate and harass my worker yeast until I'm sure they are doing their jobs. I make sure they are happy with nutrients, volume and temperature and I demand that they do their job right and on time
Before you think (correctly) that I'm totally anal, I use glass carboys so I can be a voyeur, and do not airate the fermentation. I just know yeast gets lazy sometimes and you got to mix it up in the first few days if they do. Depending on the yeast, and the ferment-ability of your wort sometimes you want or need to intervene.
But in reality most of the time you just need to kick back and let the yeast do their thing.

I haven't had too many suck fermentations before, but when I did I sanitized a racking cane and put it in the carboy (so it touches the bottom) then slowly moved the cane to rouse the yeast off the bottom...this'll rouse the yeast and not aerate...:D

People, there is no evidence of stuck fermentation...He's using airlock as an indicator, which we know is a no-no...He was right to take a hydro reading (even though he should have relaxed an waited a week), but don't forget fermentation can take up to 72 hours to start anyway...We don't need to "diagnose" a problem that ain't even there...Well, except for having a case of n00bitus...:D

Yeasts are living things, they know what they are doing, they've been making beer on there own for longer that we've been alive...Rather that trying to make them go on a timeframe we "think" they should be on (they're not sea monkeys we can train to follow a flashlight, after all) let's remember when you are dealing with the life cycle of living things, they have their own agendas....(think teenagers or swmbo's here :D)

Leave it in the primary for at least 3 weeks if your not going to secondary it. Gives the yeastys time to clean up after themselves.

Guilty of not looking at the ferm time...:eek:

*slaps hb99 aside the head* :D

I know someone already dubbed the zombification of thread law, "Revvy's Law..."

But Revvys 2nd law of thread dynamics should read "The likelihood of the problem being a case of newbie nerves and not actually an (infection, stuck fermention, mold, etc) is increased if this is the OP's first batch or their postcount is relatively low." :)

*slaps hb99 aside the head* :D
Revvys 2nd law of thread dynamics should read "The likelihood of the problem being a case of newbie nerves and not actually an (infection, stuck fermention, mold, etc) is increased if this is the OP's first batch or their postcount is relatively low." :)

True:
But I'm still a yeast voyeur and micro manager, I just don't mess with them until a week has passed.

Back