It finally happened - 10 gallons of beer on the floor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Professor Frink

Reaction score
For a while now, I've been a bit worried about my cat rubbing up against my taps and opening them up when I'm not a around, but for over a year, it hasn't happened. My girlfriend recently moved to San Diego, and I'm watching one of her cats for a while until she can pick her up.

Fast forward to 6 am this morning, I wake up to the sound of liquid splattering onto the floor. I go out to the living room, and there's her cat, happily watching 2 kegs of beer empty onto the floor. And did she open the mostly empty ones? No, she hit the full keg of DFH 60 min. clone, and the full keg of hefeweizen I brewed for a party. So now I'm just about out of beer for myself, and have no beer for my friend's party. I could just cry right now...

Oh No!!!!!!

Home-Alone.png

Sorry to hear...

If I lived near NC and had a keg of Hef on hand I'd give it to you....

Oh man that really sucks, I feel your pain. My youngest son did that to me once, I had brewed a batch in a bottling bucket...and well you get the idea.

You could serve kitty-kabobs at the party instead of beer maybe?

That sucks, man. My boys know not to touch (after one of them got a Stout surprise playing with a tap:D) and my dog can't reach.

Take some cornies to Carolina Brewing Company and they'll fill them up for you (call ahead first). It's not homebrew, but at least you'll have something nice for your party (why am I not invited? :D)

Sorry to hear about the lost beer. How many times did you have to mop the floor with that cat to get it cleaned up?

You may want to look at investing in some inline shutoff valves
WD-020.jpg

or faucet locks
4933-FL.jpg

Small investments to keep this from happening ever again.

No cats, but I'm just waiting for a wood rat to kick a keg for me. Wasn't a possibility with the old reefer, too tall, but on the kezzer the taps are at the same level as the top.

I like those inline valves. I've nudged a tap while swapping kegs more than once.

NEED to buy more equipment.

Well, I'm starting to get over my loss of 10 gallons. Instead of the Hefeweizen, I brought a corny of my watermelon wheat today - it was a big hit. Now I'm going to brew two batches tomorrow to try to catch up:mug:

I've decided to get rid of my big tap handles (they were homemade and didn't work so well) and instead go with the small, black handles and hang a blackboard behind the kegerator with the beers on tap.

Back