looking for Sammy Smith's Taddy Porter recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walker

I use secondaries. :p
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone have something close to this in their recipe book? (extract+grain, preferably.. but I can convert AG to extract if necessary.)

-walker

Damn, didn't see your request 'til just now. This is from Clone Brews:

1lb 55L British Crystal Malt
12oz British Black Malt
6oz British Chocolate malt

6lb light DME
2oz black treacle

1.5oz East Kent Goldings (5.7%AA) at 60 min
.5oz Fuggles at 15 min
Irish moss at 15 min
.5oz EKG at 3 min

Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale Yeast

33 IBU, 128 SRM, OG=1.052-1.054 FG= 1.011-1.013

Walker did you ever make this clone?
I have a bunch of malt lying around that I need to use and I'm considering an AG version of this. Just curious to see if you had any success in brewing this one.

I never brewed that recipe. (In fact, this is the first time I've seen Sam's response. :))

I think the molasses is the thing I've been looking for for my Holy Grail porter recipe. I'm a HUGE fan of SS's Taddy, and I guess I might be comparing all of my own porter recipes to that one, and now that I see the mention of molasses, I'm doing a Homer Simpson (D'oh!) and smacking my forehead.

That is EXACTLY the taste I need to add to mine to get it closer to "perfect".

Damn, Sam.... you might have solved one of my biggest problems.

-walker

Walker-san said:
I think the molasses is the thing I've been looking for for my Holy Grail porter recipe. I'm a HUGE fan of SS's Taddy, and I guess I might be comparing all of my own porter recipes to that one, and now that I see the mention of molasses, I'm doing a Homer Simpson (D'oh!) and smacking my forehead.
-walker

So it sounds like you would substitute molasses for the black treacle. Wouldn't the molasses make it taste sweeter, as opposed to the bitter taste that the black treacle would give it.
Maybe I'm splitting hairs here unknowingly, but I have yet to use either of these adjuncts in a brew, and would like to dial it in as close as I can.

After doing some research on Black Treacle & Molasses I decided to go ahead and brew my version of the SSTP clone, using Dark Molasses instead of Black treacle. After formulating a recipe, and using 1% molasses, I'm beginning to wonder if the molasses is going to do anything for this beer. The Molasses was mixed with some wort I pulled out of the kettle & then pitched back in the prevent the molasses from potentially just sinking to the bottom and scorching.

We'll see, as she's in the primary right now fermenting away. Here's what I came up wtih:
target gravity: 1.052-1.054
actual gravity: 1.052

Black malt 4.00%
Chocolate malt 4.00%
Crystal malt 15.00%
Dark Molasses 1.00% - added with with 45 minutes left
Marris Otter 2 row Pale malt 76.00%

Hops IBU's ounces Alpha Acids Addition Phase
EKG - 20- 2.15 - 5.5%- Kettle addition (80 minutes left)
Fuggles - 10- 2.03 - 4.68%- Middle addtion (30 minutes left)
EKG - 5- 1.27 - 5.5%- Late addition (10 minutes left)

1oz gypsum in the mash
.5oz gypsum in the lauter

FYI:

Jamil's Brown Porter is supposed to be a decent clone of Taddy Porter. I've not brewed it to try, but it is called "Who's your Taddy?" Porter in the styles book.

FYI:

Jamil's Brown Porter is supposed to be a decent clone of Taddy Porter. I've not brewed it to try, but it is called "Who's your Taddy?" Porter in the styles book.

I second this. He also reiterates this in his podcast on the Brown Porter style, saying something like, "I was striving for a Taddy Porter clone."

Latest posts

Back