Quick-Disconnect Quandary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TravelingBrewer22

Reaction score
If this has been addressed before or if there is a thread that has this info please ignore this post and please point me to the right place:mug: I just picked up 3/4" ID silicone tubing for my single-tier setup. I'm looking for some quick-disconnects (both male and female) for connecting my HLT and MLT to my pump and plate chiller. Any help would be great...

Look at the Similar Threads at the bottom of this page?

Are you sure you bought 3/4" ID and not OD ?

Positive. The tubing itself is massive. 3/4" ID and 1.25" OD. It's huge, I know. But I got a pretty good deal on it and figured I would just find larger connections to make it work.

3/4" ID might slip fit over 1/2" male NPT threads, and with hose clamps you'll probably get a solid seal. I'm planning on slipping/threading my 1/2" ID tubing onto 1/2" male NPT threads, but it will be a tight enough fit to not require hose clamps. Depending on what the fittings are for the rest of your system, you may be able to just use 3/4" fittings all around and squeeze the 3/4" ID tube over the 3/4" MPT threads.

I hope you saved a decent amount getting the 3/4" tubing over the 1/2" because you could easily lose the savings having to buy hose clamps for each connection. That, or I hope you find a cheaper/easier solution!

You should go with ProFlow Dynamics camlocks. All my stuff is 3/4"....the tubing is actually 5/8" ID....I scored a great deal on that but I wish I had 3/4". FWIW, the flow is pretty incredible....like a garden hose turned all the way up. I can drain or fill the kettle really quickly.

Positive. The tubing itself is massive. 3/4" ID and 1.25" OD. It's huge, I know. But I got a pretty good deal on it and figured I would just find larger connections to make it work.

Good choice on the 3/4" ID tubing. I use 5/8" ID tubing myself and I am thoroughly convinced that bigger is better (within reason, of course) when it comes to tubing and mag drive pumps. The improved flow rate is quite dramatic and there are far fewer problems with priming and such. OTOH, just try telling that to someone who has already spent a bundle on smaller diameter tubing and fittings.

Back