3.5 Gallon Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbrewer83

Reaction score
I was wondering what I have to do to convert a 5 Gal recipe to a 3.5 Gal one. I get free 3.5 Gal buckets from my work that they use for icing on cakes. Do i just multiply the amount of every ingredient by .70? I googled and couldnt find any 3.5 Gal batches anywhere.

go to www.hbd.org/recipator.
There will be a title "Spreadsheet". click that and it will open a page up for you to enter your 5 gallon recipe. once this is done there will be a button that reads "resize recipe" click this and enter a few numbers and it will show the amounts of ingredients to use to make your 3.5 gallon batch. Should be self explanatory, just take your time and look over the pages and info. good luck!

If the buckets are a true 3.5 gal, you probably want to size to 2.5 gal max so you have headspace. I need to go see some resturants / bakeries to get a few, I want to do some smaller batches to experiment.

Ditto, if the bucket only holds 3.5 gallons, then do a 2.5 gallon brew. Just cut the standard recipe in half. Except the yeast, don't cut that in half.

What you can do is do a standard 5 gallon brew and split it into 2 fermenters. Then you could do yeast experiments and use a different strain in each.

Brewsmith said:
Then you could do yeast experiments and use a different strain in each.

I've read a couple of books on beer brewing but still can not grasp the concept of straining. Is it when you but the batch in the second primary and you strain it through a regular straining and the yeast and whatever other sediment acts as a filter for the beer?

jbrewer83 said:
I've read a couple of books on beer brewing but still can not grasp the concept of straining. Is it when you but the batch in the second primary and you strain it through a regular straining and the yeast and whatever other sediment acts as a filter for the beer?

He meant you could use a different strain (type) of yeast in each.

Back