Sending off water test, carbon filter or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Faseel

Reaction score
Hello all,
I'm getting ready to send my water sample off to Ward labs. Should I gather my sample directly from how I source my water? That being through my carbon filter system or should I do it unfiltered from my hose?

Thank you!

i sent both a "natural" sample and a "filtered" sample to ward labs. The only thing I saw decreases in were pH by .3 and iron by .12 ppm, and sulfate and bicarbonate by 1 ppm. Nothing too extreme. If you don't mind forking the cash over, i would say do both. but as already mentioned, its most important to do the test with the water you use to brew.

Thanks guys,
Yea I kind of figured from the specific source I get the brew water from (filtered or not ) was the bet choice. Thank you though for your result through filter compared to not, that's great info. Well mr Ny :), I wish it were free. Im using Wards lab and it can cost you around 16 bucks plus shipping. This will be my first test with any water analysis and for me I think it's critical to get it done. Looks like Wards got some many Homebrewers getting tests done they now have a beer test kit they sale. Just got mine today and here is its content. Literally everything is included, I mean it 33 bucks so for double the price of they're typical test, you get the tube, bubble wrap, test bottle, return postage and the promise of 1 day turn around via email once they receive it. We will see how it goes .
Thanks again!

image-2476385793.jpg

Back