Just tell me if this will work..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skelator

Reaction score
I've searched the forums and the web, I'm set on giving the ebiab a shot. While ive done biab on a gas stove and in an electric oven, mash temps are something i want to control. Turning on and off the gas stove is a pain, as well as putting mash in the oven.
I cant find straight up answers for my particular concern(s). I have two 15a gfci outlets connected to seperate 20a breakers. With no other appliances running/plugged in to the same outlet, this tells me i can run up to two 1500W 120V elements (but i'd like to keep it to 1 if i can). I only boil 4 gallons as i make 3 gallon batches and what i want to do is mash in the same kettle and because of this, im worried about scorching. The problem i'm having is 90% of what is out there deals with 5500w, 240a, and 13 gallon batches.

1. Will a 1500W element be able to keep a stable mash temp and NOT scorch the mash (i will be using a cake rack or some sort of makeshift support for the grain bag)?

2. From what i've read i should use an ultra-low or a low density element and these are typically the foldback elements. I've search for an hour and either my google skills suck or im missing something, but none that ive found say "ultra low density" or "low density".

3. Will one 1500W element controlled by a Love or PID be able to boil 4 gallons for an hour? Not can it get to 212 degrees, but can it maintain a boil? This isn't the main concern as i can use my stove top element to help, but it'd be good to know/have.

Thanks for all the info you've already provided me, i'm just a worry wort (see what i did there?) and just need answers to my specific questions as im just too weary on going through with this and ending up wasting money and feeling dissatisfied because i didnt ask.

Thanks again! Cheers! :mug:

Scroll down a bit and look at the thread "Stovetop 110V Single Vessel System" by klyph. That should answer all your questions.

and after reading a bit, i suppose i always could swap out my 15a for 20a since its a 20a breaker... so maybe 2000w is doable. but again, will it scorch anything if i use a rack and will it maintain a good boil for up to 4 gallons of wort? Ideally, i'd like to run 1 element and not have to use the stove to help in the boil or the mashing.

edit: nvm, ishouldnt need to switch outlets since its a 20a breaker, the outlet wont limit my draw, the breaker will. right? and if so, will a single duplex outlet allow me to run two 2000w elements at the same time on the same outlet? Can i draw 16a from each plug from one 15a outlet on a 20a breaker or is the entire outlet limited to 20a total?

Scroll down a bit and look at the thread "Stovetop 110V Single Vessel System" by klyph. That should answer all your questions.

reading now, thanks! Too bad he uses the stove element and recirc to control mash temps where i was hoping to just use the element controlled by a love or pid and just stir occasionally instead of buy a pump to recirc.

Back