First Time Brewer Questions -

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThePolishBull

Reaction score
I been reading these forums for quite a while and I been researching the best way of starting out. I went out to a local homebrew shop and bought a kit that had a fermenter and a priming container included. Stopped at Lowes on the way back and bought copper wire, fittings, and hose to make the wort chiller, then I constructed it and sanitized everything. I started on my first brew which is a seasonal summer ale. Now everything went fine and its been about 3 hours and i do not see any bubbles yet.

Few questions// rants.

The gasket that goes on the outside of the primer container that connects to the dispensing valve leaks and the only reason I know this is because I tested it with water. Do any of you guys that have been doing this for awhile have this problem and if you do what did you use to fix it? Im thinking I will just go pick up some plumbing sealer and put it around the gasket.

The next thing is taking samples.
-I used a sanitized cup to take the samples and put it in the hydrometer tube holder. There has to be an easier way... what do you recommend?

Thanks.

It sounds like you're using a bucket for a primary? If so, there's NO NEED for plumbing sealer. There should be a rubber gasket on the OUTSIDE of the bucket. Just tighten it until it stops leaking. It does NOT need to be really tight. Do not over tighten!

As far as taking samples, does your bucket have a spigot? You mentioned a dispensing valve, so it sounds like you can drain the wort directly into the hydrometer tube.

sanitized turkey baster. You might want to take a look at the second stickey at the top about visible signs of fermentation.

try reassembling the bottling bucket valve, it might be that the gasket just didn't seal correctly. Personally I don't use the bottling bucket anymore, I just use another bucket, autosiphon and bottle filler when I bottle beer (usually keg).

Welcome to homebrewing?
Don't worry about the "bubbles". Sometimes you'll see activity in a couple of hours, sometimes a couple of days, sometimes none at all! Give it time and be patient, really!

I would not recommend using any kind of sealer or bonding materials in or even on your equipment. You may want to find some silicone washers to replace the ones you (should)have. LHBS or even bargain fittings on the web!

I usually use a sanitized cup myself or sometimes my auto-siphon/wine thief! Mostly (when I remember) I put some wort/beer in the tube holder when I am transferring. If all is sanitized you can always put the sample back in the beer but I usually wind up drinking/tasting the sample.

Good luck and keep on brewing!

Thanks a lot for the replies fellas! I will try tightening it or using the gasket sealant. :mug: many brews a head.

Cheers.

Back