Should I pitch more yeast, champagne maybe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fork

Reaction score
So I brewed on June first, a barley wine with a og at 1.090. I checked gravity 8 days later it was at 1.025 and today which is 15 days after brewing it is at 1.020 so it seems to me that the yeast may be done for but there is still some sugar left. I tasted the beer to day and it seemed very sweet still. There is a bottle of maple syrup in the brew which I'm thinking may either contribute to a high fg or possibly take a long time to ferment. So what do you all suggest should I pitch some champagne yeast now, should I transfer off the current yeast and pitch champagne yeast. I'm open to suggestions but I am getting worried about yeast autoloysis, I know the beer shouldn't be on the yeast much longer. So what do you all think.

Thanks in advance

You can leave on yeast for much longer than you have. DO you want it dryer? Most barley wines are sweet and hoppy. The gravity is about right on.

autoloysis....from what everyone else here on the sight has said is almost a mythical creature. There are people that have let there beer sit in the primary for months and no hint of it. I dont think you have anything to worry about there............If your gravity hasnt flatlined leave it alone and it will come down. Or maybe try rousing your yeast. Pick that carboy up and swish it around a little.

According to BJCP style guide, FG range...

American Barleywine 1.016 to 1.030
English Barleywine 1.018 to 1.030

Leave it alone! It's gonna be good! I think champagne yeast is ok in something like a Belgian Tripel or high gravity pilsner maybe. Something that resembles champagne in that it has a high OG and should have very light body. Barleywine should be a full bodied brew.

You're at 76% apparent attenuation; the yeast is likely done. 1.020 is a very reasonable FG from an OG of 1.090. If it's too sweet, you can try some champagne yeast, but that might dry it out too much. You might be surprised at how a bit of carbonation combats the sweet/heavy palate that it has now.

If I were you I might be more concerned if the yeast did keep going. I think I'd want the gravity to stay right where it is now, and I think that it will. If, however, you think you'll want it less sticky I might say try pitching a little more active ale yeast. Hydrated notty maybe. I'm afraid that if you pitch champagne yeast the gravity is going to fall way low for style and you're going to be left with something that is not a barleywine.

edit: listen to yuri.

I forgot to answer the latter portion of your post. Leave it alone for another two weeks. Autolysis isn't a concern until well after 30 days. Jamil regularly leaves his award winning beers on the yeast cake for weeks on end.

Wow thanks for all the great advice, so it looks like champagne yeast is out of the question because I do like sweet beers. So I think I will leave it alone a little while longer. My plan was to then transfer to secondary for 2 weeks, add hops for 2 weeks then bottle, do you think I will carbonate ok or should I re-pitch some of the same yeast when bottling. Thanks again you have given me some great info.

Personally I'd leave that in the secondary for several months to bulk condition/age and then bottle it. This is not something you want to be drinking in the next few weeks. It should be left at least 6 months and 12 would likely be even better...

GT

You don't need to worry about re-pitching unless it spends month and months in the secondary. On the other hand, it shouldn't cause any harm either. It might be good insurance against having a beer that you've invested a lot into coming out flat.

Back