corks backing out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinper

Reaction score
3 different types of bottles , my normal 750 long necks are just fine . the new 375 , the cork went in easy but keeps comming back up like 1/4 of the way out , probaly need #9 s . can I uncork these in a day or 2 and re cork?

3 different types of bottles , my normal 750 long necks are just fine . the new 375 , the cork went in easy but keeps comming back up like 1/4 of the way out , probaly need #9 s . can I uncork these in a day or 2 and re cork?

Did you by chance soak the corks, or even mist them with starsan before inserting them? On my last batch, I gave my corks a misting and tried to use them while they were damp. Every one of my 30 bottles had to be recorked. It was a bummer. I used dry corks after and never had another cork back out. I would use #9's in everything IMO.

They will be fine to recork, but I would do it asap.

Soak mine in hot water with a little sulphite and then stand them upright for 72 hours .....never a problem....

there was something I just thought of too; when I bottled that batch, the liquid was about 60 F, or about 12-15 F below ambient temperature. I wonder if in the process of warming up, the gas in the headspace built up enough of a pressure differential to drive out the corks?

KBentley57 said:
there was something I just thought of too; when I bottled that batch, the liquid was about 60 F, or about 12-15 F below ambient temperature. I wonder if in the process of warming up, the gas in the headspace built up enough of a pressure differential to drive out the corks?

If the corks didn't have a chance to seal before the temp change, absolutely, the pressure pushes them right out!

The #9 corks will do much better, I use them exclusively now.

I steamed them in a solution of iodine inserted them like normal they were all backing out before I finished bottling , only my new short neck bottles did this ,the long necks were fine . I have been pushing the corks back in since yesterday and most as of today are staying .... In the clear bottles I could see a band of trapped air around the cork and when the cork would rise you could see that trapped air releasing into the bottle and allowing the cork to rise .. These corks went in much easier than on the long necks bottles , I only have a hand corker

Back