Kolsch go BOOM!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brocster

Reaction score
Brewed a Kolsch last night, OG 1.050, pitched some White Labs Kolsch yeast into the primary and sealed her tight. Woke up this morning, nary a bubble, but by 10:00 am she was going, although a little slow. By 4:00, she was in full bloom.

At 11:30, I was working on the computer before bedtime when BOOM!!! Sounded like someone threw a baseball at the floor below me. I knew exactly what happened...and sure enough..Blew the plastic lid off and busted my three piece airlock in a few pieces when the lid hit the ceiling. Airlock was still attached to the lid with full of gunk.

Lol....and to think I was worried that the yeast wouldn't take. So much for mild ales!!!!

Looked like the chic from the exorcist threw up all over the room where the primary was. At least SWMBO was sleeping....

hah that sucks. I really don't understand why people don't just always use a blowoff tube. It's about the same amount of work as just an airlock, and it saves a whole lot of cleaningup...

You had something that hillarious happen and you didn't take pictures? Bummer

blowoff for the primary fermentation and when it slows down after a couple days I put a airlock in for bulk aging...... I ALMOST learned the hards way when I caught a oatmeal stout with a plugged airlock just about ready to blow... figure that was the extent of me luck and not to push it again....

Yeah, my bad...I should have took pics. That is what happens when you are delerious from being so tired. The pics would have been hilarious....

I ferment in a down stairs bathroom that has heated floors. This allows me to keep the room at any temp I want. When I went into check on the BOOM, there was crap everywhere, but just coincidently, the lid must have first popped on the "thrown" side, because it looked like someone was actually trying to vomit or something and missed by a wide mile. lol..made me laugh at least. The room is 12x6, with 9 foot ceilings, and every wall and the celing had crap on it. There is a little dent where the airlock hit...

lol....never would have though from a Kolsch this could happen!

Heh, I use a blowoff tube and the last time I brewed with Kolsch yeast the dang thing STILL flew out of the carboy! That yeast is serious stuff.

Man that's weird because I still have yet to have a batch that needed a blow-off (even my Kolsch...although I fermented around 60F so maybe that had something to do w/ it). I've recently started using a couple drops of Fermcap just in case.

Latest posts

Back