When to stop the runoff

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The literature says to stop the run off when your gravity gets to be less than 1.008. Does this mean 1.008 at around 150 deg F, or 1.008 at around 70-80 deg F, there is a difference???

Gravity is measured at 60 F. You would have to make the adjustment for higher temps. I have always read it was 1.010 but I batch sparge so it's not something I check.

Everyone in my brew club stops at 4 brix with a refractometer. Or you can use a hydrometer and dont go below 1.018. You will find allot of debate in this area. If your temp and mash Ph is not too high you could go further than that, but to me its not enough fermentable sweetness to worry about so I stop at 4Brix. Hydrometers are corrected at 60 degrees F. You would have to cool the wort and read at 60F or use a correction factor for the hydrometer. thats whats great about the refractometer a couple of drops and you get your reading. When the liquid is hot it will read lower because its thinner, it must be at 60, your hydrometer should have a correction table in the package. With a refractometer you dont have to worry about that a couple of drops on the cold glass and it cools fast and read right away.
Good luck
By the way you stop because you dont want to extract tannins from the grain or get that grainy taste.

I look at that as a MINIMUM gravity to stop at. You might want to watch how much preboil volume you're dealing with too. I mean, boiling off a ton of water just because you runnings gravity was still at 1.014 is a bit silly. Fuel is expensive and time is money.

Bobby_M said:
I look at that as a MINIMUM gravity to stop at. You might want to watch how much preboil volume you're dealing with too. I mean, boiling off a ton of water just because you runnings gravity was still at 1.014 is a bit silly. Fuel is expensive and time is money.

+1

I stop runnings at my preboil volume. Like Bobby said, no sense increasing the boil time just to run the mash down to 1.010 or 1.008.

I have been taking a reading after reaching preboil volume just to see where I'm at. I'm trying to adjust the brewhouse efficincy to match the pre-boil volume with the gravity of the runnings around 1.010

Latest posts

Back