Saison Recipe for Wedding

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peregrinebio

Reaction score
Hi All,

My FIL is getting remarried this summer. His favorite style is saisons. He loves Le Merle. SWMBO and I are planning to brew a keg or 2 for his reception. We plan on brewing a couple of test batches next month and are starting to think about recipes. I've brewed Jamil's saison recipe and Northern Brewer's Petite Saison in the past and we loved both. We are thinking about adding a twist to to one of those base recipes. Or using a clone recipe of a commercial saison as inspiration.

Anybody have a favorite saison recipe they would like to share or recommend a commercial saison we should check out?

Cheers :mug:

My two favorite commercial examples are Boulevard's Tank 7 and Great Divide's Colette. My latest batch that was in bottles was something along the lines of:

OG: 1.065
FG: 1.002
Yeast: Great Divide Colette culture (be careful, apparently one of the four yeast strains they use is a wild one. I have separate equipment for Saisons alone)

x lbs American 2-row (To reach desired OG)
3 lbs Red Wheat malt
2 lbs Vienna

.375 oz Warrior (17.1%) - 60 min
.500 oz Simcoe (14.1%) - 15 min
.500 oz Amarillo (10.9%) - 5 min

Fermented warm, 80*-85*F

Everyone that tried that one enjoyed it, it wasn't exactly a true to style Belgian Saison, but it was still a very refreshing and easy drinking example. Even my grandmother liked it, and all she drank beforehand was Bud Light.

The next batch I have fermenting right now is just a slight deviation from the one above:

OG: 1.063
FG: ?
Yeast: GD Colette

6.0 lbs American 2-row
2.5 lbs White Wheat malt
1.0 lbs Vienna
1.0 lbs Flaked corn
12.0 oz Flaked wheat

.500 oz Bravo (14.2%) - 60 min
.250 oz Simcoe (14.1%) - 15 min
.500 oz Cascade (5.5%) - 1 min
.500 oz Cascade (5.5%) - Dry hop 1 week

Fermented ~80*F

That one was brewed about 2 weeks ago though, so it will be a while before I can report how it turned out. I'm hoping this one will turn out to be even closer to Tank 7 than my last batch was, which multiple people told me was very similar in taste and appearance. Not sure how with all that Vienna malt, but I'm not asking questions when it comes to getting compliments.

I have a Rye Saison recipe I'll post tonight. I haven't brewed it myself, but my buddy has brewed it a couple times, and it is fantastic.

My two favorite commercial examples are Boulevard's Tank 7 and Great Divide's Colette. My latest batch that was in bottles was something along the lines of:

OG: 1.065
FG: 1.002
Yeast: Great Divide Colette culture (be careful, apparently one of the four yeast strains they use is a wild one. I have separate equipment for Saisons alone)

x lbs American 2-row (To reach desired OG)
3 lbs Red Wheat malt
2 lbs Vienna

.375 oz Warrior (17.1%) - 60 min
.500 oz Simcoe (14.1%) - 15 min
.500 oz Amarillo (10.9%) - 5 min

Fermented warm, 80*-85*F

Everyone that tried that one enjoyed it, it wasn't exactly a true to style Belgian Saison, but it was still a very refreshing and easy drinking example. Even my grandmother liked it, and all she drank beforehand was Bud Light.

The next batch I have fermenting right now is just a slight deviation from the one above:

OG: 1.063
FG: ?
Yeast: GD Colette

6.0 lbs American 2-row
2.5 lbs White Wheat malt
1.0 lbs Vienna
1.0 lbs Flaked corn
12.0 oz Flaked wheat

.500 oz Bravo (14.2%) - 60 min
.250 oz Simcoe (14.1%) - 15 min
.500 oz Cascade (5.5%) - 1 min
.500 oz Cascade (5.5%) - Dry hop 1 week

Fermented ~80*F

That one was brewed about 2 weeks ago though, so it will be a while before I can report how it turned out. I'm hoping this one will turn out to be even closer to Tank 7 than my last batch was, which multiple people told me was very similar in taste and appearance. Not sure how with all that Vienna malt, but I'm not asking questions when it comes to getting compliments.

Thanks Phenry. Question, does Colette actually use American hops or are you just experimenting?

My Rye Saison was rather nice. A little on the tart and spicy side but altogether an enjoyable beer.

5.0 gal
OG 1.059
FG 1.008
IBUs 33
Mash Temp: 150
Mash Duration: 60 min

10lbs Briess 2-row
1lbs Weyermann rye malt
5.4oz Weyermann melanoidin malt
4.0oz table sugar (added at flame-out)
0.5oz Sorachi Ace 10.9%aa 60 min
0.5oz Sorachi Ace 10.9%aa 15 min
1oz Amarillo 8.2%aa 5 min
0.5 whirlfloc added at 10 min
Wyeast 3711 French Saison

Start the fermentation low (65ish) and ramp up so as to avoid phenols. I eventually had it up to ~82F.

Thanks Phenry. Question, does Colette actually use American hops or are you just experimenting?

I'm pretty sure Colette uses more traditional hops, but I do know for a fact that my hopping schedule is somewhat similar to Tank 7's: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f71/boulevard-smokestack-series-tank-7-farmhouse-ale-clone-250256/ (I subbed Cascade for Amarillo, I had just run out)

With my experience though, the American hops play an underlying role to the yeast. I'm sure there would be a difference in using Noble hops, how much I don't know, but that's an experiment for my next batch.

Made this one in September and the keg barely made it to December.

Fall Saison
10lbs Franco Belges Pils Malt
1 lb Caravienne
1 lb Turbinado

1.5 oz Styrian Goldings 60
1 oz US Goldings 15
2 oz Saaz 05

.5 oz bitter orange peel

Wyeast 3725 Biere De Garde
OG 1.066
FG 1.001

I want to try this again in the spring and try making it a little lighter, but overall, was super tasty. I love the interplay of the Goldings and Saaz hop combination, if you are going for a more traditional Belgian flavor.
Good luck!

I made saison that placed in a dogfish competition. Just check my recipes. Ole Zion Church Saison.

Here it is

All-Grain - Ole Zion Church Saison

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: WYEAST 3711
Yeast Starter: Yes 1L
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: No
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.078
Final Gravity: 1.004
Boiling Time (Minutes): 90
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 21 65 rise to 80
Additional Fermentation: No
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): No
Tasting Notes: Amazing beer. It assaults your mouth and comes back to appologize. Remarkable

Ole Zion Church Saison 3rd place DogFish Head Mad Brewer Competition.

5lbs 2 row Belgian Pilsner
3lbs Maris Otter
2lbs White Wheat
4oz Aromatic
4oz Biscuit

Mash in 11.55 qt at 164 Hold at 148 for 75 min
Batch sparge .46 gal at 175
Batch sparge 2.08 gal at 175
Batch sparge 2.08 gal at 175

Ended up with about 6 1/4 gallons pre-boil gravity reading of 1.067

90 min boil

.5 oz Magnum 90 min
1 lb amber candi sugar 60 min
Whirlfloc tablet 15 min
1 oz hallertauer mittelfrueh 10 min
1 oz coriander seed crushed 5 min
1 oz sweet orange peel 5 min

1 oz hallertauer mittelfrueh at flame out for 20 min rest
1 oz of pink peppercorns at flame out for 20 min rest

cooled to 65 and pitched Wyeast 3711

OG 1.078

Fermented at 65 and let naturally rise to 78 for two weeks. Threw the belt on it for two days to raise to 80 then let it cool itself down to room temp. I checked it after 3 weeks and it was crystal clear and tasted amazing, nice and dry. got a gravity reading of

FG 1.004

Carbed with corn sugar to 3.2 volumes and it was carbed after a week, 2nd week better, 3rd week amazing, yesterday it is the nectar of the gods!

Back