Hop flavoring for already-brewed beer (celiac hop lover)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sroberts

Reaction score
Is there a way to add hop flavoring to commercial or already-brewed beer? A good friend has celiac disease and loves hoppy beer, yet his beer choices are severely limited when we are at the brewhouse.

It would be ideal to have a concentrated hop flavoring, where a few drops would improve the aroma and flavor of an already poured pint. I plan to experiment a bit using hop pellets but if anyone has a good recipe I'd appreciate some tips.

I want to learn more about GF brewing as I have one friend with Celiac and a friend with another autoimmune disease, both of them have gone GF for many years. I dont think it is feasible with my current equipment set (grain dust and all)... one of the friends is VERY sensitive to gluten and happens to be the one with Celiac

I would experiment with the hop shots as well as hop tea to add to pints.

Some people add hop pellets to commercial brews to test the hops flavor without doing a full batch but I would wonder about O2, it wont have anywhere to go, re-capping with a new O2 adsorbing cap would probably handle the residual gas in the small bit of headspace.

I make a bit of my own hop oil/hop extract from rinsing the containers I use to weigh out my homegrown hops. The weighing container always ends up sticky with residue, so one year I decided to give it a rinse with 190 proof alcohol and stick it in a bottle. Light sensitive and not very shelf stable, but it sure works well for a month or two before oxidizing too badly (I'm pondering the addition of ascorbic acid or another antioxidant next time). I can't see why extracting some hops with Everclear or something similar wouldn't achieve a similar effect. Dropping a few whole hops cones into a beer should also work in a pinch if you've got them handy.

Isn't hops gluten free? What's not is beer. Or at least some beers might still contain gluten proteins. I'd think that is beers made with a variety of grains, barley, rice and wheat. Each with it's own particular gluten protein that may or may not give the person as much of a reaction.

Or is there more to celiac's disease than just some of the more common gluten's? And yes, I am being a google warrior here, because I was thinking that hops don't contain gluten so shouldn't be the issue for your friend. I'd have thought it'd be the other stuff and how those beers are made.

I guess maybe I'm not understanding the hop oil extract over just using more hops.

You are correct. Gluten is a grain protein that is found in wheat, barley, and rye.

I'd understood the question to be how to improve the flavor of an existing gluten free beer. Commercial gluten free beers don't usually get rave reviews, as they're usually FYB that has been made with less flavorful source of fermentables. Sorghum, corn, or rice are often used, as I recall. So, bad beer made worse, at the risk of sounding judgy.

Back