$hit floating in my beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McMalty

Reaction score
Here's the thing. I love it when crap is floating in my beer, especially little delicious hoppies. Often times, people who are unfamiliar with anything other than piss beer get disgusted by completely normal things floating in a homebrew.

Lately, I was refreshed and justified when i popped open a Bear Republic Hop Rod Rye Specialty Ale and found that all kinds of **** is floating in this phenomenal brew. So now i feel like i can officially just tell "those" people to go to hell. I don't know if anyone gives a damn about this, but its been eating away at me.

I'm right there with you man...when I poured that bottle of Hop Rod for the first time, I remember thinking that this was the way a beer should look! Now when I review beers on certain sites, and notice floaties, I ALWAYS mention them as a plus. Non-filtered is the way to go...

I dislike floaties. I certainly don't mind a hop haze or a touch of yeast from a naturally carbonated bottle, but straight up chunks in my beer just puts the idea in my head that the brewer doesn't respect me enough to give me the "middle cut."

Notable bottled commercial beers with hop snot I've gotten are Green Flash Hop Head Red and Houblon Chouffe. The particles in the beer didn't make me like them less, but I would have liked them better without the vegetation. Leafy matter in beer is in this way similar to leg hair on a girl.

A little hop junk from a dry-hopped gravity cask is of course excusable.

I dislike floaties. I certainly don't mind a hop haze or a touch of yeast from a naturally carbonated bottle, but straight up chunks in my beer just puts the idea in my head that the brewer doesn't respect me enough to give me the "middle cut."

I agree. A hops haze is fine, as is a dusting of yeast sediment on the bottom of the bottle. But if the beer has floaties, it makes me very unhappy.

Yooper said:
I agree. A hops haze is fine, as is a dusting of yeast sediment on the bottom of the bottle. But if the beer has floaties, it makes me very unhappy.

We're basically talking about tiny pieces of hop leaves from unfiltered beer. Many commercial brews, including some of the best pumpkin ales, have tiny little particles floating in them. I can understand peoples adversion to them, but I don't think anyone would even know they're there if they didn't actually see them floating in the glass. I love it, but to each, their own

Notable bottled commercial beers with hop snot I've gotten are Green Flash Hop Head Red and Houblon Chouffe. The particles in the beer didn't make me like them less, but I would have liked them better without the vegetation. Leafy matter in beer is in this way similar to leg hair on a girl.

I love floaties and I love hairy women!

I would prefer chunks of hoppies in the beer than chill haze, and also hairy women are great as long as it manageable.

Personally i would take piss beer over crap in my beer as stated by the op. Ha ah ahha.
Really about half the time when i approache the floaties in the beer its unpleasant.Sometimes it has the spent yeast taste other times it doesnt, so it only offends me if it taste like old yeast.Generally i check this and avoid it when buying them, i like seing a fine dusting or solid yeast cake.Floaties just tells me its spent its time or been abused in storage.
(OP) He actually said " i love when crap is floating in my beer" then continues with making fun of peoples piss beer,ha ha ha.......

Personally i would take piss beer over crap in my beer as stated by the op. Ha ah ahha.
Really about half the time when i approache the floaties in the beer its unpleasant.Sometimes it has the spent yeast taste other times it doesnt, so it only offends me if it taste like old yeast.Generally i check this and avoid it when buying them, i like seing a fine dusting or solid yeast cake.Floaties just tells me its spent its time or been abused in storage.
(OP) He actually said " i love when crap is floating in my beer" then continues with making fun of peoples piss beer,ha ha ha.......

I think you've misunderstood me. I'm not "making fun of peoples piss beer", when i said "piss beer", i was referring to BMC. I enjoy and respect anyone's homebrew that doesn't have floaties (so long as it isnt' a terrible beer), i was merely making the statement that I like to see tiny little hop leaves floating around in a good beer. Keep in mind where this was posted; I was a little drunk when i was writing that, so if i didn't make that clear, i apologize.

Back