Is there a need for late extract addition with DME?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaveBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I mostly brew with steeping grains and DME. Is there any reason to do a late extract additon other than a slightly lighter color of beer. With my all DME batches I have not seen a big difference in color with late additions and I don't really care about saving a small amount of hops beacause I buy in bulk.

I mostly brew with steeping grains and DME. Is there any reason to do a late extract additon other than a slightly lighter color of beer. With my all DME batches I have not seen a big difference in color with late additions and I don't really care about saving a small amount of hops beacause I buy in bulk.

"Need"? No. Benefit? Yes. I've noticed a "cleaner" flavor in beers when the bulk of the extract (both DME and/or LME) was added near or at the end of the boil when doing a small boil (less than 5 gallons).

Thanks Yooper. I have never heard anyone say that it produces a cleaner tasting beer with late additions. I will have to continue to experiment.:mug:

I've mentioned it several times a week. Everyone asks this same question,among other common ones. She's right, it gives lighter color & Cleaner flavor from not caramelizing/burning DME/LME to the pot or just boiling something for 60-90 minutes that's already been malted.
I mention this more than I care to remember,but it's for the good of all,so...

Moreso with LME,but DME can also darken,which is still caramelization. And I've seen more than a "slight" color difference in some beers between full malt boil & late additions.

Moreso with LME,but DME can also darken,which is still caramelization. And I've seen more than a "slight" color difference in some beers between full malt boil & late additions.

Same here. My beers came out considerably darker before I started doing late extract additions.

Back