Soft Smooth Malty

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slickfish

Reaction score
Looking for a yeast strain that gives a really soft smooth finish to the beer. I've tried fullers strain....too estery, cal ale is too....I don't know, just not it. Anyone have suggestions ? Thanks

Fermented at 66 the whole time. It was an ESB. The comment I got from a brewery consultant that worked for AB was that it tasted like it fermented too warm. Also, it was in my conical with thermowell so I'm pretty confident in the temps.

Have you considered Wyeast 1450? Denny's Favorite? I love this strain! Here's what Wyeast says about it:
http://www.wyeastlab.com/rw_yeaststrain_detail.cfm?ID=201
This terrific all-round yeast can be used for almost any beer style, and is a mainstay of one of our local homebrewers, Mr. Denny Conn. It is unique in that it produces a big mouthfeel and accentuates the malt, caramel, or fruit character of a beer without being sweet or under-attenuated..

Origin:
Flocculation: Low
Attenuation: 74-76%
Temperature Range: 60-70F

I LOVE the strain. I've used it in an IPA, a stout, ambers, etc, and been thrilled with it. It keeps the mouthfeel without making the beer sweet or "thick" and it allows even hops to shine through.

Actually I just made a torpedo clone with it and really liked the finished beer. However with the huge hopping in this beer, it is difficult to tell what the fermentation character really is. I'm going to give it a try again on an amber or a nut brown so I can really evaluate it. I was considering it already, thanks for giving me a push.

I thought about Lager yeast but I don't care to wait that long. I am stirring a starter of wlp833 right now though.

Latest posts

Back