Peroni Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, guess I'll run with that. From the wikipedia entry I'm showing 5.1% ABV ( Peroni Brewery - Wikipedia ), so I'll shoot for an OG of about 1.046-1.048 as my yeast is hitting about 1.008-1.010 FG consistently. I'm using Fermentis S-189, and highly recommend it. Curious about the color issue though, carapils won't get it there I don't think.

@mengtx, how did it turn out? Framing up a half barrel batch, so would like to incorporate your feedback.

Unfortunately, between remote work/furlough sapping all coworker homebrew deliveries and demand with family mysteriously and suddenly dropping to a third of normal, my beer pipeline has stayed full and so haven't gotten to this one. This week, I'm shooting for 2-3 batches though as makeup, if weather doesn't go >=100. I'll post on it then.

That's about the same reason I want to make some. I had quite a bit there, and other beers you mostly can't find here-Castello (think was my fave, only found it around Venice), Peroni (the red label version-just referred to as "Peroni" on wikipedia, not to be confused with Peroni Rossa), Moretti, Menabrea, Forst and Ichnusa (only found it around Genoa, had different flavor). It was quite hot one particular summer and beer sounded much better than wine. Beer was pretty cheap in restaurants, half liter for €2-2.30. Good memories, and of course the Italian beers were better there when fresher.

I will always regret going to the Florence market and seeing a sweet long bar by Moretti with many specialty or prototype beers-only when I was headed to the bathroom and we were leaving. Never got to try them.

I'd love to get a recipe for normal Peroni which seems to be hoppier with less adjunct. The closest historic one I've found was in Dave Line's book but seems underpowered by today's ABV # if I recall correctly.

Realized I never updated my experience on this one. I’ve done a few iterations of it and my last one followed this recipe:
75% pilsner
25% flaked corn

20 IBU magnum at 60 min
1.6 IBU Saaz at 15 min
1 oz Saaz at flameout

WY2278 Czech Pilsner at 1.75 million cells / ml / plato

Water profile was quite soft with lactic acid added to hit 5.2 pH
50 ppm Ca
10 ppm Mg
5 ppm Na
100 ppm SO4
50 ppm Cl
0 ppm HCO3

with lactic acid added to hit 5.2 pH.
Mashed at 148 F for a dry finish.
Fermented at 54 F for 2 weeks, with raise to 60 F for diacetyl rest with ramp down to 40 F over 30 days lagering.

On tasting with side by side comparison,
the flavor is 90% there, but it could have a drier finish and there is subtle bitterness on the front end missing.

My next iteration tomorrow will employ a step mash instead of single infusion with acid, protein, and alpha and beta rests. Will advise if it closes the 10% gap or increases it in a couple months once lagering finishes.

Just looking at the Peroni website, they go into a lot of detail about the Nostrano dell’Isola maize they use, an old variety that also gets used for polenta. But they are strangely silent about their yeast. Which makes me think that they're just using 34/70, because that's what most lager producers use. Its higher attenuation would also help dry it out for you.

Realized I never updated my experience on this one. I’ve done a few iterations of it and my last one followed this recipe:
75% pilsner
25% flaked corn

20 IBU magnum at 60 min
1.6 IBU Saaz at 15 min
1 oz Saaz at flameout

WY2278 Czech Pilsner at 1.75 million cells / ml / plato

Water profile was quite soft with lactic acid added to hit 5.2 pH
50 ppm Ca
10 ppm Mg
5 ppm Na
100 ppm SO4
50 ppm Cl
0 ppm HCO3

with lactic acid added to hit 5.2 pH.
Mashed at 148 F for a dry finish.
Fermented at 54 F for 2 weeks, with raise to 60 F for diacetyl rest with ramp down to 40 F over 30 days lagering.

On tasting with side by side comparison,
the flavor is 90% there, but it could have a drier finish and there is subtle bitterness on the front end missing.

My next iteration tomorrow will employ a step mash instead of single infusion with acid, protein, and alpha and beta rests. Will advise if it closes the 10% gap or increases it in a couple months once lagering finishes.
Thanks for posting. We drink too much of this while in Italy! Would enjoy homebrewing some.

Lagering done, and step mash brought it dead on the money. I do spund, and suspect this is the last factor to getting fully to finishing gravity. Rather than avoid the spund, will give oxygenation a go up front to keep the yeast healthy and driving to the end.

But in any case, it’s a final tweak and recipe is dialed in.

While at my local homebrew shop the other day I was happy to see, for the first time, a LME called "European Lager" and the picutre on the can appeared to be a picture of the top of a Peroni bottle.

I love Peroni, I tried it while I was over in London last year, and since then I haven always tried to order it when available, however it's usually not and when it is it's about $6 or $7 a bottle or $12-$13 for a 6 pack.

Does anyone have any Peroni clones? It'd be greatly appreciated for a nice late summer lager.
Copy of - Peroni Nastro Azzurro lager International Pale Lager
Batch Size 6.21 US Gal
Losses 0.53 US Gal Boil Time 90 mins Mash Efficiency 80%
Mash Volume 4.813 US Gal
Sparge Volume 4.268 US Gal
OG (SG) 1.053 FG (SG) 1.006 IBU 28.9 Colour (EBC) 5.9 ABV 6.13%

Mash and Sparge volumes calculated using the "Grainfather G30 Connect – 220V (Bluetooth)" profile. (My equipment is the grainfather. I got this recipe from the community site on grainfather's website. I plan on making for an Italian Dinner party. You can join the grainfather community. There are several recipes but they are all very similar. hope this helps. Let us know if you make it. I will be making it in the fall for a company event. -Sebrina Alfonso

Fermentables
PPG EBC Pilsner 8.76 lb (73%) Mash 37.0 2.6
Corn, Flaked 2.09 lb (17%) Mash 37.0 2.0
Carapils/Carafoam 0.94 lb (8%) Mash 37.0 3.8
Acidulated 0.23 lb (2%) Mash 36.0 6.6

Mash Steps Temp Time
Mash Step 1 149 °F 10 min
Mash Step 2 167 °F 60 min

Hops Amount Type Usage Time
AA Hallertau Magnum (IBU: 17.6) 0.52 oz (19%) Pellet Boil 60 min
11.5 Saaz (IBU: 7.6) 1.31 oz (47%) Pellet Boil 15 min
3.1 Saaz (IBU: 3.7) 0.94 oz (34%) Pellet Boil 5 min 3.1

Yeast Amount Attenuation Saflager Lager 1.62 oz 83 %

Extras Amount Usage Time
Lactic Acid 0.11 oz Mash 0 min
Calcium Chloride (CaCl2) 0.01 oz Mash 0 min
Epsom Salt (MgSO4) 0.02 oz Mash 0 min
Gypsum (CaSO4) 0.01 oz Mash 0 min
Gypsum (CaSO4) 0.01 oz Sparge 0 min
Calcium Chloride (CaCl2) 0.01 oz Sparge 0 min
Epsom Salt (MgSO4) 0.02 oz Sparge 0 min

Fermentation Steps Temp Time Primary Fermentation 50 °F 5 days
Secondary Fermentation 55.4 °F 1 days
Tertiary Fermentation 62.6 °F 1 days
Fermentation Step 4 66.2 °F 1 days cold crash 41 °F 10 days

Notes Peroni is the number one lager brand in Italy. Nice beer for all seasons.

Latest posts

Back