how to make big starters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cold_Steel

Reaction score
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/attach...-40-gallons-down-40-go-cabots-brewing-010.jpg

This is just in case someone does actually use the search feature on the site.

I found this to work very well for making a large starter. I drilled a 1/2 hole in fermenter buck 5 gallons of course. I placed a 2x4 over it and used a clamp to mount a drill over the bucket. I attached
http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/mix-stir-plastic-24.html
to the drill and placed wire around the trigger and let it run slowly over 48 hr time frame. I did pitch 1000ml into the 5 gallons before starting the drill.

I did this because I did not have any yeast slurry left over from a batch.
Some would say why not make 5 gallons of beer instead of a starter.
and the answer is they can.
This was just something I found to be useful and if anyone else has the need I would hope it was helpful.
Cheers

I always just use my stir plate.

nPzM4.jpg

Wha?? You actually got a vortex in a carboy? Is that a standard 5 gallon? If so, what size of a stirbar did you need to use? Any throwing of the bar?? Please... more details.

It's a 6.5 gallon carboy. I used a 12v 1a dc fan and a 50 lb rated 2 inch bar magnet. Rather than a rheostat, I opted for a LM317 based voltage regulator.

It is kind of a pain to get the thing balanced on the center but I don't have many issues with throwing. It usually takes me a few tries to get the thing spun up.

I eventually want to eventually replace all the motor and circuitry with a stepper or servo for programmable start up sequences.

Oh, and the stir bar is one of those with a spinning ring. I think it is the 2 inch version but I don't know for sure.

Back