PID output and SSR

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Humuleneman

Reaction score
I would like to know if a SSR is being used (Loosing life expectancy) when a PID or DSPR is sending 12V pulses to it when the SSR is not controlling the 240v circuit (element off by a contactor)? Should i use a switch to isolate the 12V output of the PID from the Input of the SSR when the panel is powered on and the element off?
Thanks

Why would you keep the PID powered on when it's not is use? I doubt that it would wear it out. But if the contactor is switched, use the same switch to power the PID.

Dont worry about it. SSRs are rated for many, many millions of operations. Even if yours is going wild and doing a couple thousand during brew day...

And it can be useful to keep the PID powered to display temperature, even after switching the element off. No worries.

Thanks to you all. i just wanted to avoid mistakes before they happens. To answer BlkWater Brewer, Its because my control panel is divided in 2 Auber PID for HLT and MT (with 3 way switch) on one SSR, contactor and element and an Auber DSPR-1 on the other SSR, contactor, element. The DSPR can be turned of by the knob. For the PID's im not planing on putting an off switch on them and like Jeffmeh said keeping an eye one temperature can be usefull.

All the gate signal does in an SSR is illuminate a couple of LEDs - one on the outside to let you know the thing is gated and one on the inside to send an optical signal to the actual switch. If the contactor feeding the SSR is open nothing happens in any other part of the device as it is deengergized and therefore nothing is being 'used up' in the sense of deduction from the average number of operations before failure. It is the switch side of the device that fails (99.99...% of the time). Not the triggering LED.

Latest posts

Back