GFCI tripping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TechyDork

Dork of all Tech
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So we finally ran the wiring to our new E-HERMS panel. We ran 6/4 from the main breaker, a 30 amp, to our SPA panel with a 50 amp GFCI and then to the 30 amp outlet for the panel.

The issue is as soon as we turn on the main power switch on the panel the GFCI trips. The control panel is a KAL clone and was built following the purchased instructions from his site. The only difference is that we are using and Raspberry Pi with Strangebrew Elsinore in place of the PIDs.

It sounds like the main contactor closes and then instantly trips the GFCI.

All outlets are grounded to the ground post in the case and that post is connected to the building ground via the power cord for the panel.

There are no pumps or elements connected to the panel at this time.

To troubleshoot i have replaced the main power switch and the GFCI still trips.

We have checked all connections to make sure they are tight.

Tonight I will try to remove all of the connections from the panel side of the main contactor and then try to power up the panel again and see if the GFCI trips.

Does this sound like a possible bad contactor? I am using three of these one for mian and one for each element. I have the 120v line from the switch connected to one side of the coil and a neutral connected to the other. Is that the proper way to wire it?

I will try to take pictures tonight and post for further input and troubleshooting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Without the diagram, it is hard to give specific advice.

In general though, what you want to do is disconnect parts of your panel from the circuit until the GFCI stops tripping.

Once you identify the circuit causing the trip, you can begin isolating the specific component.

Can you post the panel circuit schematic?

Without the diagram, it is hard to give specific advice.

In general though, what you want to do is disconnect parts of your panel from the circuit until the GFCI stops tripping.

Once you identify the circuit causing the trip, you can begin isolating the specific component.

Can you post the panel circuit schematic?

I don't have a schematic drawn up, but it is a copy of the 30 amp panel from www.theeletricbrewery.com. I will try to draw up a schematic this evening and post for review.

I plan to do some troubleshooting tonight and will start by disconnecting everything on the panel side of the main contactor and then work my way from there.

I guess i am mainly wondering if i have wired up the contactor properly.

Here is how i have it wired

contactor_wiring.png

I was able to resolve the issue. I had the Spa panel wired up incorrectly. The neutral wire from the control panel was going to the neutral bar and not to the GFCI breaker.

Now that that is fixed the panel powers up normally.

Now to water test the kettles!

Back