Another false bottom question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prsman

Reaction score
Belleville, just across the river from St. Louis
I was at my Local HBS trying to figure out the how to put together a mash tun, and the guy recommended using a big grain bag instead of a false bottom. Anyone else done this? What are the pro's and cons? Sounds like a really simple idea to me, but being new to all-grain I can't see any faults so.... ENLIGHTEN ME!!!!!
Please and Thanks
:ban:

Nothing wrong with a grain bag. If you are on a tight budget. They are great for the LHBS as they have to be replaced periodically. Where as a stainless steel false bottom should last several lifetimes.Your efficiency might not be quite as high as it would be using a false bottom.

prsman-

For a number of years I used a grain bag, set on a vegetable steamer basket, set inside a plastic bucket w/ a drain, for my MLT. Actually liked it better than the Phil's Phalse Bottom I eventually got. Kind tough to keep temps up, but nothing a sleeping bag or insulation didn't take care of. Had to drain SLOWLY, but the %s weren't too bad. YMMV!

Sully

Latest posts

Back