Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale-ish

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uwmgdman

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Partial Mash
Yeast
Wyeast 1056
Yeast Starter
If you like
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
I pitched onto 1/3 of a yeast cake
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days 66F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 day 66F
Partial Mash Grains:
Note efficiency was 55%, my PM technique now gives me 75%, so a 1lb reduction in DME would work if your eff is close to 75%

4lb. German Munich 8L
1lb. English Crystal 55L
8oz. CaraPils

Mash at: 151F for 60 min
Sparge with: 170F water

Extract to add with 20 min remaining in boil:
5 lb Extra light DME

Hops:
1.25oz Chinook 12.0%AA 60 min
1.00oz Centennial 10.5% AA 15 min
1.00oz Cascade 6.4% AA 15 min
Dry hop for final week of secondary fermentation with 1oz Centennial and 1oz Cascade

Irish Moss: 1 tsp 15 min

Note this is for a 3.7 gallon boil, if doing a full boil reducing hopping rates.

This beer was wonderful. I added the 4lb Munich just to see how it would compare to the real SNCA and it was rather close. Mine tasted a bit more bitter, had more hop nose (likely freshness issue), and was a bit sweeter at the finish. The 64 IBU might be off, in the beer swap Kaiser suggested this tasted lower than 64, so there is one warning.

Otherwise, I really enjoyed this brew and will make it again!

One of my absolute favorite beers ever. Thanks for this!

I'm WAY too inexperienced to attempt just yet though. I just brewed my first batch last week.

I just bought the stuff to make this brew. I am upping the 60 minute Chinooks by 1/2 an ounce to increase the IBUs. Beersmith had the IBUs at 53 until I upped them. Now it is estimating 61. I will give that a shot and see how it goes. I am sticking with the Wyeast 1056 just because I like it :)

Greg

Well, fermentation stopped after four solid days of churning and burning in the carboy. I nearly had the kraussen coming out of the neck of my 6.5 gallon carboy! I am getting ready to xfer it to the secondary this weekend and will test the gravity. I am hoping it came down to 75-85% attenuation.

Greg

Holy Moly!!!! I had a test bottle of this tonight after its been in the bottle for two weeks, and WOW! What a great recipe! Lots of malty goodness, hoppy, and a nice clean finish. I am glad I made another batch of this (just bottled today). This is going to be my standard house IPA.

Thanks a bunch for the recipe!

Greg

Yeah, I am on my second batch now (chilling in the fridgy waiting for me) and I will certainly make this one again soon.

Greg

Back