Banana Orange Pineapple Mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michgan241

Reaction score
BOP is probably my hands down favorite juice, do you think that it could convert well to a mead? I'd have to check and see if the store brands have perservatives or if they are pasteurized... but i would really like to do this in a 1 gallon test.

any yeast suggestions?

Bannana Is known to be pretty harsh when fermented and needing a long time to mature. Pineapple in many recipes turnes to rocket fule probably due to a high acidity and low amino acid nutrient level stressing the yeast. Finally Orange juice mead has been known to smell like sick and just be terribly hard to ferment and get right.......... But I bet they will do just fine all mixed together hahaha.

No but seriously I have little experience with all 3 ingrediants only doing one JAOM before that had Orange in it, so all I know is from reading others experiences. So my words here should be taken with a grain of salt. I have seen succesfull pineapple/Orange juice wine before that was a simple recipe.

I think a good PH & low nutrient resistance yeast fermented cool would be good for this. Lalvin K1-V1116 would be my choice. Make a Yeast starter a few hours in advance. Do not skimp on the nutrients. Probably 1tsp DAP and step feeding yeast energizer untill 1/3 of the fermentation is complete. Mix a half gallon of the juice with 2lb of honey & nutrients, then top off with juice to a gallon. Put your gallon jug in an empty ice cooler and just take a normal water bottle and freeze it. Put it in loose not touching the jug in the cooler and keep the lid down once you add the yeast. Change the ice bottle every 12 - 24 hous. Should keep the temps at around 55*F - 60*F. I bet this could turn out well fermented slow and well.

Bannana Is known to be pretty harsh when fermented and needing a long time to mature. Pineapple in many recipes turnes to rocket fule probably due to a high acidity and low amino acid nutrient level stressing the yeast. Finally Orange juice mead has been known to smell like sick and just be terribly hard to ferment and get right.......... But I bet they will do just fine all mixed together hahaha.

No but seriously I have little experience with all 3 ingrediants only doing one JAOM before that had Orange in it, so all I know is from reading others experiences. So my words here should be taken with a grain of salt. I have seen succesfull pineapple/Orange juice wine before that was a simple recipe.

I think a good PH & low nutrient resistance yeast fermented cool would be good for this. Lalvin K1-V1116 would be my choice. Make a Yeast starter a few hours in advance. Do not skimp on the nutrients. Probably 1tsp DAP and step feeding yeast energizer untill 1/3 of the fermentation is complete. Mix a half gallon of the juice with 2lb of honey & nutrients, then top off with juice to a gallon. Put your gallon jug in an empty ice cooler and just take a normal water bottle and freeze it. Put it in loose not touching the jug in the cooler and keep the lid down once you add the yeast. Change the ice bottle every 12 - 24 hous. Should keep the temps at around 55*F - 60*F. I bet this could turn out well fermented slow and well.

Thanks for the reply! as far as ph what should i be shooting for? And i think they have PH strips at the LHBS or i wonder couldnt i just "borrow" a few from my chemistry lab...

wouldnt making a starter make it ferment faster? or do you mean the temperature slowing the healthy yeast down?

PH for a good mead should be around 3.5 give or take a point or two.

You want a healthy colony of yeast pitched. The lower temp just makes them take their time to do things right. 1116 works real well in the cool temps. I have a Sake going now and the temps spike down to about 48*F and it is going along super well. Not that I think you need your must that cool but a bit on the cool side I believe will help.

I have one with orange juice and pineapple juice going that is tasting really good (no water). I also have a few other ingrediants in it. It is around 18-19% Abv so it will be in a carboy for another 18-24 months probably to give it time to properly age. Could probably be good in a rum type drink right now though.

I would use Lalvin 71B, rather than 1116. 71B softens acidity perception and is good for higher acid musts---and as always, make sure it doesn't get too warm (mid 60s should be good).
I have made a mead with these ingredients before (plus a few others), and it was rather harsh and nasty at first--due more to my lack of knowledge than the ingredients--and is starting to become drinkable eight months later.

The rest of Arpolis' suggestions I agree with.

Bannana Is known to be pretty harsh when fermented and needing a long time to mature. Pineapple in many recipes turnes to rocket fule probably due to a high acidity and low amino acid nutrient level stressing the yeast. Finally Orange juice mead has been known to smell like sick and just be terribly hard to ferment and get right...........

Didn't have a problem with my orange mead....

Latest posts

Back