Philly area Homebrewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You do not need to present a membership card to receive your club discount; we can verify your membership status in our system. I've sent you a private message with more details about the policy, and to see if we can correct the error.

As a Keystone Employee I apologize for the confusion and lack of explanation regarding the new Keystone Hops discount policy.
You do not need to present a membership card to receive your club discount; we can verify your membership status in our system. I've sent you a private message with more details about the policy, and to see if we can correct the error.
I wasn't on HBT for a little while and missed these posts. Looking back at what I wrote, I regret bringing it up on a public forum. Keystone Homebrew has been incredibly accommodating to my weirdness (special grain orders and . . . well, just weirdness.)

As for Keystone Hops the club, as much as I’d like another beer t-shirt, being an active member is not practical for me. I already have a local club, The ANNiHiLATED. I may be the only one thinking this, but it’s too bad the store doesn’t have a frequent buyers club. Pay a fee up front and get a discount and special offers. It would be an option for people who can’t or don’t have the desire to be active in the homebrew club, but still might motivate them to use the store more often.

I may be the only one thinking this, but it’s too bad the store doesn’t have a frequent buyers club. Pay a fee up front and get a discount and special offers. It would be an option for people who can’t or don’t have the desire to be active in the homebrew club, but would still might motivate them to use the store more often.

I like that idea, get a shopper's club card! Get on that guys!

Review on Tired Hands: Loved the building and atmosphere. Reminded me of an old time warehouse. No TVs. Decent music in the background. Our waiter was terrific. A little forgetful but otherwise very funny, nice, and timely with service. We have enjoyed our time and got sample plates of the cheese, meats, and pickles at different times. All very good though I couldn't really taste a different between the pickles.

As far as I am concerned the two beers worthwhile were the Black Saison and their Imperial Porter. Both were very good. The rest all had the exact same coloring and I felt were too similar.

This place was a Hipster heaven evidently. I saw some interesting outfits and people trying way to hard to look different yet going to a place where they all look the same.

Overall it was a good trip but I wouldn't go back unless I was in Ardmore already.

Review on Tired Hands: Loved the building and atmosphere. Reminded me of an old time warehouse. No TVs. Decent music in the background. Our waiter was terrific. A little forgetful but otherwise very funny, nice, and timely with service. We have enjoyed our time and got sample plates of the cheese, meats, and pickles at different times. All very good though I couldn't really taste a different between the pickles.

As far as I am concerned the two beers worthwhile were the Black Saison and their Imperial Porter. Both were very good. The rest all had the exact same coloring and I felt were too similar.

This place was a Hipster heaven evidently. I saw some interesting outfits and people trying way to hard to look different yet going to a place where they all look the same.

Overall it was a good trip but I wouldn't go back unless I was in Ardmore already.

This is pretty much my feeling on tired hands. Most of the time when you go they'll have a couple really good/interesting beers on tap and a lot of hoppy beers that kind of taste the same. Every now any then when i go i'll catch them when they have a bunch of sour/brett/barrel aged stuff on tap though and its wonderful.

That place is a magnet for hipsters though.

I am admittedly a big Tired Hands fanboy, but I do agree not everything they brew is a home run. Everything being the same color does not bother me at all, they tend to favor very simple grain bills for their hoppy beers which is something I do in my own brewing. Again, not all of them are great but most of them are so aromatic and refreshing.

SaisonHands is a pretty stellar little saison, it should not be overlooked imo. Their bottled offering are pretty phenominal, but Im not a wait in line for a beer kind of guy.

I am admittedly a big Tired Hands fanboy, but I do agree not everything they brew is a home run. Everything being the same color does not bother me at all, they tend to favor very simple grain bills for their hoppy beers which is something I do in my own brewing. Again, not all of them are great but most of them are so aromatic and refreshing.

SaisonHands is a pretty stellar little saison, it should not be overlooked imo. Their bottled offering are pretty phenominal, but Im not a wait in line for a beer kind of guy.

I've always heard the same from other friends and have never stopped by to try their beers. (only 15mins away) I keep hearing about lines, and hipster, wanna-be-beer-snobs... as well as most beers tasting like they use the same yeast and base ingredients.

Any other beers i should try other than this Saison? (is it more Belgian or French if you had to judge?)

I guess since I live in Fishtown it doesnt feel overly hipster to me. Im no hipster, I have a job and I bathe myself, but seems like a laid back crowd. To be clear, there are only ever lines on bottle release days, other than that you walk in sit down and drink delicious beer and eat tasty food.

I actually dont think all the beers taste the same, they have a certain theory on brewing hoppy beers so they are of a similar profile (low bitterness, bright aroma/flavor leaning fruity citrus instead of sticky dankness which happens to be my style). As for SaisonHands, not sure if it leans one way or another, its finished with Cascade.

HopHands and SaisonHands are the only 2 regular tap beers, the rest varies so its hard to recommend. Just get a bunch of 4oz tasters and decide for yourself, after all beer is subjective and you will have your own opinions.

I've just started going to tired hands as well. I went the first time for a bottle release and was a little overwhelmed by the cult like feel but was assured by a friend of mine that was only due to the bottle release. I've gone back three times since in the last few months and it is a different vibe on days they are not having a bottle release. Yes, it is a hipster crowd and while I don't fit into that category they make everyone feel welcome. I even got to speak with the owner Jean for about 20 mins about brewing and his plans for the new location he is about to open. Great guy and based on that experience alone I would travel the 25 minutes there to pick up a growler of a select few beers: mago Togo, such passion, bottle release, etc...

Figured I would post it here first for the local guys I am selling my 3500 watt 110 volt ebiab system with stand if local. An ascon x1 pid. An ascon j1 temp controller, a mill motor and a 20# co2 tank. I will consider all reasonable offers I am looking to upgrade to Blichmann

Hello my name is Drizzt and I have a brewing addiction.

Figured I would post it here first for the local guys I am selling my 3500 watt 110 volt ebiab system with stand if local. An ascon x1 pid. An ascon j1 temp controller, a mill motor and a 20# co2 tank. I will consider all reasonable offers I am looking to upgrade to Blichmann

you have pictures of everything?

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1398791770.064554.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1398791783.606689.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1398791802.473208.jpg

I tried searching the thread for posts but it came up empty.

Has anyone tried their brew? We walked in the door about 2 weeks into their opening and the crowd was 10 deep to get a beer, we said eff that and walked out. When the hysteria wanes we'll go back! ;)

I tried searching the thread for posts but it came up empty.

Has anyone tried their brew? We walked in the door about 2 weeks into their opening and the crowd was 10 deep to get a beer, we said eff that and walked out. When the hysteria wanes we'll go back! ;)

Either I'm missing something or you need to be a little more specific as to who's brew you're talking about. :)

Its in the subject of his post, Conshohocken Brewing. I had their Saison at Real Ale a few weeks ago, it was good but not terribly memorable. Then again I am pretty particular about my Saisons.

Ill get out there when the crowds die down, we plan to ride our bikes out there for a few beers.

Either I'm missing something or you need to be a little more specific as to who's brew you're talking about. :)

It's in the post title (I did a double-take too.) Conshohocken Brewing. I was talking to someone who went but didn't talk about how the beer was. All he could mention was the disbelief in the size of the equipment for a place that just opened (and was speculating on how well heeled the backers must be.)

It's in the post title (I did a double-take too.) Conshohocken Brewing. I was talking to someone who went but didn't talk about how the beer was. All he could mention was the disbelief in the size of the equipment for a place that just opened (and was speculating on how well heeled the backers must be.)

That was me. I had a simco ipa and black ipa. Neither was nothing to write home about, wife had the ipa, I thought that was pretty good. The setting is nice. They did a really nice job.

HopHands and SaisonHands are the only 2 regular tap beers, the rest varies so its hard to recommend. Just get a bunch of 4oz tasters and decide for yourself, after all beer is subjective and you will have your own opinions.

Word... I'll get there sooner or later. Lots of small breweries popping up around our area over the last few years.

I too was growing out my beard but since the Flyers lost I can shave my splotchy, multicolored playoff beard now. :(

I was rooting for the rangers last night. Only because I did not want anymore "I can't make our hockey game because the flyers are on" emails. :cross:

The devils aren't in the playoffs, so I have no dog in this fight this year. ;)

So I'm taking a shot in the dark here. Non brewing related. I've currently got 10 lbs worth of pork belly curing in the fridge, that hopefully will be turned into bacon this weekend. Any chance anyone has a deli slicer I might be able to borrow to cut this stuff up? While I'd have no problem with 1/4" thick slices, I'm not sure I can talk the wife into that...

Anyone enter the Buzz Off competition this past Saturday (5/18)? I wasn't able to go to the award ceremony (at Victory) but I saw that I took 2nd in the IPA category...anyone else place?

Anyone enter the Buzz Off competition this past Saturday?
Congrats on the place! That was by far the biggest category in the competition.

hehe . . . that was what my "nevermind" above was about.

I wasn't there (had to work), but looking at the results, there seems to be some strangeness. Mind telling me what your score was? And was there any schwag for winnning?

Edit:
Just peeked at your HBT public profile. Is this from Buzz Off? Nice!

profilepic54068_2.gif

Congrats on the place! That was by far the biggest category in the competition.

hehe . . . that was what my "nevermind" above was about.

I wasn't there (had to work), but looking at the results, there seems to be some strangeness. Mind telling me what your score was? And was there any schwag for winnning?

Edit:
Just peeked at your HBT public profile. Is this from Buzz Off? Nice!

profilepic54068_2.gif

I couldn't go either so I don't have my score and haven't found out if I win anything other than a ribbon/medal. I emailed the organizer of the event asking if everything would be mailed to me but haven't heard yet.

That pic is my winnings from taking first in the Imperial IPA category at this year's War of the Worts :drunk:

That pic is my winnings from taking first in the Imperial IPA category at this year's War of the Worts :drunk:
Ahhh . . . I saw what looks like a Victory Brewery koozy on the case, but should have noticed the blue ribbon.

You should be able to see your score by logging on to the competition website, but like you, I'm curious to see the score sheets.

Back