Okay Geniuses, can you figure this one out?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rook

Reaction score
Okay guys. I need your help. I'm enlisting the Homebrew Talk Super Friends here. I'd love to get your help on deconstructing this beer. There is a local brewery that makes a really great little beer called Manny's Pale Ale. It is actually SWMBO's favorite beer.

These are the specifications I can tell you about it.

Georgetown Brewing Awesome Folk said:
For beer geeks
Two-row Pale, Crystal, and Cara-Pilsner Malt. Magnum and Cascade hops. IBU's: 28. Original gravity 1.052 (13 Plato). Finishing gravity 1.010 (2.5 Plato). English Ale yeast. Alcohol by Volume: 5.5%.

Its only sold on tap. No bottles to send out for sampling. Nothing of the sort. We get growlers of it occasionally, but its a bit of a drive.

Can these specs give me a general idea of a beer?

(Oh, and I'm looking for partial/mini mash or extract. I'd prefer mini-mash for the cara pils/crystal, but I don't know about quantities of any of it.

SRM is fairly light, I'd say about 9-10ish, mebbe a bit darker.

Ahhh, Manny's. I've had it many times. Great brewery, and Roger and Manny are great guys. I took a stab at the recipe. Not sure how close it will be to Manny's Pale but maybe someone else can chime in.

Manny's Pale Ale Clone

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

10-A American Ale, American Pale Ale

Min OG: 1.045 Max OG: 1.060
Min IBU: 30 Max IBU: 54
Min Clr: 5 Max Clr: 14 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 5.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 7.50
Anticipated OG: 1.055 Plato: 13.61
Anticipated SRM: 10
Anticipated IBU: 32.6
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
26.7 2.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
13.3 1.00 lbs. Crystal 40L America 1.034 40
6.7 0.50 lbs. CaraPilsner 1.035 10
53.3 4.00 lbs. Generic DME - Light Generic 1.046 8

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.50 oz. Magnum Whole 14.00 30.5 60 min.
0.50 oz. Cascade Whole 5.75 2.1 5 min.

Yeast
-----

White Labs WLP002 English Ale

You could always give them a call. In my experience, most beer folk are pretty receptive to homebrewers. Remember, imitation is the highest form of flattery!

I'm heading there today with a couple growlers! Brewtopia THANK YOU for the shot at it, I'm going to print it out and see if they have any input on it. If they're mum, I'll give that a shot as it is.

woohoo

I'd bet if they are decent folk and not too busy, they'll probably will make suggestions if your approach is right.

I think skeeordye11 is right. What do they have to loose?

just ask them what degree levibond the crystal is and you basicly have the recipie. take the grains plug them into promash and tinker around until ya have the specs

I think Brewtopia's attempt is right on....I've never had it, but you can get a damn good idea of what it is with teh info you gave....

I'll be the brewers will be impressed at the accuracy and may help out even more...ask also if it is dry-hopped.

If you read up on their website, they actually started brewing manny's on their back deck and then decided to quit their jobs and turn their homebrewing hobby into a business. Hopefully they'll be sympathetic to homebrewers :)

I'm heading there today with a couple growlers! Brewtopia THANK YOU for the shot at it, I'm going to print it out and see if they have any input on it. If they're mum, I'll give that a shot as it is.

You bet. I think Manny will be pretty open. I 've talked to him a few times and he's never shyed away from offering information or suggestions. I'd be curious what his thoughts are on this.

Dude - Love the St. Patrick's Day logo!

Manny wasn't there. There were two girls and one guy present. No brewing assistance to be found.

Oh well, We got our two growlers of mannys, then walked across the street and drank manny's and chopper's red and went home. :) I'll go back sometime when manny is there.

walked across the street and drank manny's and chopper's red and went home.

Now get over to Brouwer's in Fremont for the Hard Liver Barleywine Fest! Just came from there. 50 barleywines on tap right now. That might be where Manny is. Seemed everyone else on the local brewing industry was there. Even saw Adam Avery there from Avery Brewing Co in Boulder CO.

Latest posts

Back