Use only wort first runnings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BOBTHEukBREWER

Reaction score
Ignoring cost issues, is there anything to be gained by using only the first higher SG wort runnings and adding water to achieve deired SG, rather than sparging down to 1.002 or similar? ie less tannins, less acidity

Ignoring cost issues, is there anything to be gained by using only the first higher SG wort runnings and adding water to achieve deired SG, rather than sparging down to 1.002 or similar? ie less tannins, less acidity

If your PH is in the right range, not really. The first runnings are less likely to have tannins because of the PH issue. As long as your PH stays in the right range, you can keep sparging and nto extract tannins.

People make comments about "higher quality", but I think thats just silly.

I know that in How To Brew, Palmer mentions that beer made from the first runnings is richer and smoother but keep in mind that you'll lose efficiency and see your cost per batch go up slightly.

You'd better have a big mash tun if you're planning on 5 gal batches to hold the larger amount of grain and water that you'll be using.

I know that in How To Brew, Palmer mentions that beer made from the first runnings is richer and smoother but keep in mind that you'll lose efficiency and see your cost per batch go up slightly.

Plenty of people say stuff like that, but I've yet to see any double blinds. Perception and expectation can color taste.

I would have expected more body and flavour and smoothness, I will do a regular recipe but use only first runnings and report back.

If you dilute with water isn't that defeating the purpose? When you sparge you are diluting the first runnings but still with wort. You will be diluting the first running with water which will probably make a a lesser beer.

If you use only the first runnings you need to either be happy with a smaller batch size or bump up the grain bill so you can collect more wort from the mash. That's the only way to tell if you get a better beer from using only the first runnings

If you use only the first runnings you need to either be happy with a smaller batch size or bump up the grain bill so you can collect more wort from the mash. That's the only way to tell if you get a better beer from using only the first runnings

Well, if you were trying to judge first runnings vs regular beer, and we assumed something like 75% efficiency for batch sparging and 50% efficiency for first runnings, you'd need to do a whole lot of calculating to end up with a much higher volume from the first runnings than normal. Maybe mash really thin? You still need to come out with 6.5-7g of first runnings for a 5g batch.

15lbs of 2 row gives you 1.054 @ 5g @ 50%. You'd need to get yourself 6.5g to start(26 qts), with 15lbs, you'd lose about 3g (12qts), so you'd need to mash with roughly 40 qts (after inefficiencies), or 2.7 qts/lb. You'd need a mash tun greater than 52 qts to hold that.

With sparging, and using 75% efficiency, you could do the same thing with a 5g cooler, and 10lbs of grain. You're looking at significantly more grain, significantly more propane (you need to heat much more mash water), bigger equipment, etc.

And I really don't think it would make much of a difference in your beer.

Latest posts

Back