Might have underpitched my xmas ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klinus

Reaction score
Hi!

Me and a friend brewed a dark christmas ale yesterday night (so about twelve hours ago), kind of inspired by the amazing N'ice Couffe.

We brewed 21 liters/5.5 gallons, and the og ended up at 1.093 (goal was 95 but never brewed anything this strong so im still happy!)
The yeast we used was wlp500, monastery ale.
I dont have the knowledge,space and equipment for making starters, so even if it costed me much more, I didnt make one.
Instead I went to the mr malty yeast calculator, and it said I needed 3.5 vials of yeast, so i ordered four.

We split the batch in two, and pitched two vials in each.

The problem is when I rechecked mr malty, I realize i must have done something wrong because now it says I need 5.1 vials.

My question is, do I need more? And if so, should I pitch more as soon as possible or should i wait? I dont have a local carrier that has the same yeast in stock, so If i need more i need to order it and it will take a couple of days.
Can I do something else?

Hi!

Me and a friend brewed a dark christmas ale yesterday night (so about twelve hours ago), kind of inspired by the amazing N'ice Couffe.

We brewed 21 liters/5.5 gallons, and the og ended up at 1.093 (goal was 95 but never brewed anything this strong so im still happy!)
The yeast we used was wlp500, monastery ale.
I dont have the knowledge,space and equipment for making starters, so even if it costed me much more, I didnt make one.
Instead I went to the mr malty yeast calculator, and it said I needed 3.5 vials of yeast, so i ordered four.

We split the batch in two, and pitched two vials in each.

The problem is when I rechecked mr malty, I realize i must have done something wrong because now it says I need 5.1 vials.

My question is, do I need more? And if so, should I pitch more as soon as possible or should i wait? I dont have a local carrier that has the same yeast in stock, so If i need more i need to order it and it will take a couple of days.
Can I do something else?
According to yeastcalc.co you are good with 4 packs with a viability as low as 86%. If you aerated well I think you should be fine.

Back